Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is there no MXO2 Mini Max driver for Windows 8.1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Why is there no MXO2 Mini Max driver for Windows 8.1? Reply with quote

I have a timeline in Premiere CS6 that crashes each and every time I try to export with the Matrox 264 Blu-ray encoder, but it exports perfectly fine using the h.264 encoder supplied with Premiere. When posting about this, Joe from tech support tells me that the drivers for Windows 8 are in beta, and there are no drivers for 8.1.

I don't understand how can a major pro video company like Matrox doesn't have drivers ready for a major OS that was released over a year ago, and especially now that Windows 8.1 was released and many more people including me finally made the jump from Windows 7, since it takes care of many of the annoyances Windows 8 had.

I think it's past due for proper drivers to be released.
Kaush
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. I made this rant back in August, as I also upgraded to CC, which has *no* official Windows 8 driver support: http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=13053

I did however manage to get the latest Windows 7 drivers to work by installing them in windows 7 compatibility mode, which was great. However, it just got worse with 8.1 where I can't even plug in my MXO2 LE Max, as the PC blue screens on boot up whenever I do now! Sad

I've been a big fan Matrox since 2003 and always used their hardware but they are really letting down their most loyal users by forcing them to stick with legacy, even when the latest OS has many performance and security benefits that are important to us on our work machines...

I hope they fix this soon!
sebasvideo
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaush wrote:
I did however manage to get the latest Windows 7 drivers to work by installing them in windows 7 compatibility mode, which was great. However, it just got worse with 8.1 where I can't even plug in my MXO2 LE Max, as the PC blue screens on boot up whenever I do now! Sad

Interesting, you seem to have more problems than I do. I didn't get any crashes except for the Max encoder, but I can output to my TV set just fine from Premiere and AE, but not with Prelude and Encore like I could with Windows 7. Not deal breakers for me, but I expect a company like Matrox to have Windows 8.1 drivers ready by now, especially when 8.1 RTM was sent to developers weeks before it was available to the public.
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Matrox where are the drivers????
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=13192
Anoher six months to go for me converting terabytes of Matrox video archives. This cost me so much euro's I hope your understand.
If no driver before this is finished.
Please do not call yourself a professional video company anymore.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of what they are doing internally at Matrox.

My guess is that they might be putting their limited developer resources in to addressing the other big need: the complete rewrite of some of the Mac supporting utilities (Vetura etc) which were previously bolloxed by the substantial changes in the (behind the scenes) multimedia subsystem in the latest versions of the Mac operating system.

Windows 8 support will come eventually.

Personally, if I were to set up a professional video editing computer, I would first be researching hardware and software comparabilities and requirements and proceeding from there. Windows 7 would have been the choice, ahead of anything on the Mac I might add.

Andrew
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my comments, note the operating system specified for all three VideoGuys DIY 10 editing computer builds.

See https://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY+10+++Our+wait+for+Thunderbolt+is+over/0x86959ff2ee4098c3eef68b2070f368dd.aspx

Again, stick with Windows 7 for your video editing needs.

Andrew
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also skeptical when I bought my new laptop with Windows 8.1.

I have to more windows 7 quadcore workstations with regular harddisks in raid.
But his new system with SSD , core I7 4700 and geforce 780m with windows 8.1 beats my two workstations. By a mile far.

Startup and render times are amazing with Adobe Creative cloud.
Switching between after effects, premiere and photoshop was never so smooth.

For me windows 8.1 is a winner.
Just try it! Without Matrox hardware.
artistdomain
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Andrew Smith. I've been a Matrox user since the RT2000 days (as well as a user other solutions like Black Magic Design etc.)

System stability is paramount above all else; without stability you can't edit. And Win 7 is indeed stable.

Win 8 was a big fat belly flop in the general marketplace. Surely, sophisticated editors have avoided it seven fold. Thus the population of pro editors who have adopted Win 8 must be small. Who could blame Matrox for wasting money developing drivers for it. Has nothing to do with editing video.

I'm not saying anyone on this thread has stability issues. But If anyone thinks that going to Win 8 will make any stability issues they may have disappear, I think they'll be sadly mistaken. Look elsewhere for your instability culprits. Hint: look at drivers for all hardware (besides Matrox) that is relevant to your editing such as graphics drivers. If the most stable driver from Nvidia (for example) is said by Matrox to be a pre-Win 8 version, then so be it.

Also, you'd be wise to segregate your NLE drive from your general use drive and then you enjoy Win 8 to your heart's content. Just not when editing.

As for things being faster under Win 8.1, I'd have to see formal benchmarks using respected utilities before I just accept someone simply claiming that in a forum. Maybe it's merely due to the fact that an SSD and a GeForce 780 is installed. As far as I know Microsoft never claimed that Win 8/8.1 is faster than Win7. And if they did, that claim would be null-and-void after configuring a Matrox-based NLE under that new OS anyway. All bets would be off on any claim by Microsoft. More secure and easier to use maybe. But faster?.

I'm editing just fine and, personally, I could care less about Win 8.1 as it really has little to do with editing.

I'm currently a Mini with Max user.
filmfabrique
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@artistdomain
Everybody has a right on his own opinion.
But I think you are a little bit ignorant here.

Quote:
I'm editing just fine and, personally, I could care less about Win 8.1 as it really has little to do with editing.

Because you are editing fine you don't care about other people (my way or the highway?)
Wake up. There are more people then you on this planet.
And when they buy a new system now more and more of them have windows 8.1 installed.
And yes you can edit with it like a pro.
I was also skeptical but I did try it and changed my opinion.
But maybe i'm not a so sophisticated Pro editor like you.

Why do you bash win 8 if you did not even try to edit with it?

Quote:
System stability is paramount above all else; without stability you can't edit. And Win 7 is indeed stable.

I also was editing fine with windows 7 but Adobe CC with windows 8.1 is more stable than my windows 7 with Matrox setup.
And I am just talking about stability here.

And personally I do not need drivers for Windows 8 but other people on this forum do.
So I support them.

I just want that the Matrox VFW codecs work with new operating systems.
Apple or Windows.

Like I said before.
I can understand that they do not support hardware forever with new operating systems.
But codecs???
This is something totally different.
I'm not aware of other company's that drops support for their codecs on windows 8.
Even Apple Prores is still supported!!!
Kaush
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you @filmfabrique. I was thinking of going off on a massive rant but you've literally taken all the words right out of my mouth! I agree with you, performance (and memory management most importantly) on 8.1 is blindingly good and for that reason alone, it should be shown greater support by Matrox!

Small case in point to illustrate this performance improvement in my case:

my 2009/2010 HP laptop with a 7200rpm HDD that I use for the bulk of my editing work booted up at very reasonable 20-22 seconds.

Since upgrading to win8 (which has been maintained on 8.1) with the same 7200rpm HDD, my PC now boots up in 9-10 seconds. These performance increases are noticeable all over the system too, including Premiere Pro CC.

Anyway, I'm still trying figure out a way to plug in my MXO2 without blue screening the PC now... it may have been something in the upgrade that messed up, so thinking of doing a PC Refresh (magic button - I love it) to see if it fixes the issue, as I know some others on here are suffering that one on their systems too!
Rcarre@videotron.ca
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very disappointed. I upgraded to W8.1 when I upgraded to Avid 7.3 and found it to be much more stable and much quicker at rendering and better at memory management. Today I received my brand new MXO2 only to be told it is not supported. The answer I see from the techs is to keep using W7. That is not a satisfactory answer. To revert to 7 I will need to format and reinstall a multitude of applications not to mention loosing all my presets and key mappings only to have to redo it again when they do get a driver for 8.1. That equals about 40 hours of work and time lost. The proper answer would be that they are working on it and expect a solution within lets say a or two even but to be told to just go back to 7 and the attitude that they'll get to it when they are good and ready is not acceptable. A little more info would be appreciated, I get more info of upcoming patches from small companies that are probably run out of someones basement. Matrox is a latge respectable company that is loosing respect and possibly a lot of future clients. $500 spent to be told change the rest of your set up to conform to ours is not good.
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello MXO2 clients,

Matrox is looking into a Windows 8.1 driver. Significant changes in the MXO2 driver are needed, between our current drivers and drivers for Windows 8.1 to provide a stable and functioning release. We will officially have an announcement upon its release. Matrox thanks you for your patience, as we understand its importance to our loyal clients.

Regards

Vic
jokerfilm
(MXO2 LE)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comes right at the time. I am installing a new system and was wondering, if windows 8 support will be available or not. But I think, this message means: if you want to start working this spring, take windows 7 ?!

Matrox_Support_Vic wrote:
Hello MXO2 clients,

Matrox is looking into a Windows 8.1 driver. Significant changes in the MXO2 driver are needed, between our current drivers and drivers for Windows 8.1 to provide a stable and functioning release. We will officially have an announcement upon its release. Matrox thanks you for your patience, as we understand its importance to our loyal clients.

Regards

Vic
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely take Windows 7 64-bit. It works, and it works very very well.

In the end, you really just want to be able to get your work done and not have to even think about the operating system.

Andrew
knuta
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Vic wrote:
Hello MXO2 clients,

Regards

Vic
Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: