Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrox 264 (Blu-ray) 24p plus 25p

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnoMande
(MXO2 Rack with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Matrox 264 (Blu-ray) 24p plus 25p Reply with quote

Our core business is creating DCP masters of digital feature films (2K and 4K).
About 98 percent of all the films we handle are native 24p (NOT 23.976).
We also make lots of DVD and Blu-ray viewing copies for our clients.
To speed-up the h264 Blu-ray encoding we purchased the Matrox MXO2 Rack MAX.
The specifications on your website shows the supported video formats:
NTSC/PAL/NTSC-EIAJ
720P 50/59.94
1080I 50/59.94
1080P 23.98/24/25/29.97/30
1080PsF 23.98/24/25/29.97/30

This is far from correct!
Maybe they're the supported formats for capturing, I don't know, but I really can't find detailed specs concerning the encoding formats.
I was supposed that the above specs are implemented for anything you want, because there's nothing what says anything different, or it differs of what you want to do.

I was very disappointed to see that it is impossible to encode to h264 in 24p! And even 25p is not possible either.

I don't understand why these settings are not available. Technically spoken, it should be very easy to implement this.

Although it's a bit harsh to search the forum posts in detail, I've seen a topic somewhere what's about the same issue.

Please, can you implement this in the next driver/firmware release, otherwise we can't use our MXO2 Rack MAX for Blu-ray encoding.
Alan Craven
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, 25p is not a Blu-ray legal format, it is interlaced only for 1920x1080
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ArnoMande,

Thank you for your detailed feedback. The listed video formats on our specifications page is for all inputs and output formats such as capture, playback and output, not necessarily only for encoding.

The Blu-Ray formats supported via Matrox H.264 encoding is:
720p @ 23.98fps
720p @ 50fps
1080i @ 25fps
1080i @ 29.97fps
1080p @ 23.98fps

As mentioned by Alan, 1080p25 is not a supported Blu-Ray format. See this wiki link for supported video formats for Blu-Ray: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Video

Please add any feature requests to our Product Feature and Enhancement section of the forum.
ArnoMande
(MXO2 Rack with MAX)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam and Alan,

Thanks for your reply!

I know that 25p is not a legal Blu-ray format, but we often author to this format anyway, and it works great!
Blu-ray discs are played on LCD/LED screens/projectors in 99% of the cases, which are very well capable of showing 25p in great quality.
We never have any complains or failures about this.
I think the 25i standard for 1080 comes from the original PAL standard, plus 1080i (25fps) is still the standard for broadcasting in PAL-based areas.

The 24p format issue however, isn't answered yet.
I think it's too easy said that the mentioned formats are not necessarily for encoding.
This way we don't know exactly what ENCODING formats are supported.
When the supported formats depend on what you're doing (capture, play-out, encoding), it would be wise to be more specific in the specifications.
Anyway, I will add a feature request in the right section of the forum.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for adding the post to our Product Feature section. As mentioned by Andrew, you can try changing frame rate in the custom presets and see if this works. http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=12976
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: