Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vertical Line Noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Vertical Line Noise Reply with quote

I am getting vertical line noise on my MXO2-Mini via the composite (Y) connector. I am using a JVC VHS 6 head hifi player which is great for playback the machine has hardly been used. The heads I keep clean, so I know the signal is as good as it can be from the unit. The signal I am getting on my MacPro Nahalem 2.66GHZ machine (16GB ram) is coming up with wavy vertical lines throughout the picture.
Not sure what this could be. I did a test with a store bought VHS video and it was cleaner, but not perfect. I am able to monitor also through HDMI to my HDMI monitor. Everything seems to work, just not sure what the noise could be caused from. Do I need better cables? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I am in Australia, so the format is PAL SD.
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KeyDesignz,

Can you try with another source or tape, using the same cable type?

You may want to try with svideo instead, your your deck supports it.

Regards

Vic
Tech support
imayaproduction
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Vertical green line on the top of the display monitor Reply with quote

I've just install the MXO2 and installed the 1.5 software version, since no DVD in the box. when Playing the timeline in Final Cut Pro, I get a vertical green line on the top of the display monitor, using the HDMI output from MXO2 to the monitor. Any suggestion PLS. ??
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: No S-Video Reply with quote

I don't have S-Video output and the signal I get from the Composite is not as clean as I would like. I used to have a Sony PD-170, which was actually really good as a recorder and converter let alone a great little camera, but I had to sell this due to upgrading to HD cameras, which funnily enough don't have this capability, despite being double the retail price. I have attached an image here.
You can clearly see the vertical lines here, which tend to rip the image apart and look like this on the actual tape. See image below

You can clearly see the vertical wavy lines coming down the picture in areas where it is brightest, like the walls. This moves throughout the picture and really shows up on my LCD monitor I use for colour correction.
Has anyone experienced this in any tests they have done? If I hook this up to a TV with only the blue screen showing (VCR stopped), it is really clear, no vertical lines throughout the picture.
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KeyDesignz,

If you connect the composite out to a tube based TV how does it look?

Please make sure your MXO settings are correct. In system preferences locate the MXO icon and confirm the input is correct.

Can you try with another deck or output?

Regards

Vic
Tech support
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Matrox Settings Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. The output should be reasonably clean off this VCR, I have run other tapes through it before and never seen these vertical lines. Attached is a pic of my settings, which are correct. As for the TV, I would need to have taken a picture, but I no longer have those tapes. I only output to a HDMI Samsung monitor at present, but I could hook up the output to a TV to see if it appears. I will update this post and send through some images, if I can get the TV set up. I imagine I just use the output off the Matrox Mini to interface with the TV?
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These settings look normal KeyDesignz.

Please keep us updated.

Regards

Vic
Tech support
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Can't interface to TV Reply with quote

I have tried outputting to the TV from composite, which is also set in the software, but don't appear to be getting a signal. HDMI is also connected, so can it output to two sources at the same time? HDMI and composite to the analogue standard definition TV?
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KeyDesignz,

You can output both composite and HDMI at the same time.

Please make sure it is a direct connection.

Something does not sound normal.

Please uninstall and redo the driver. If the problems continue, would you like me to arrange an RMA replacement for you?

Regards
Vic
Tech support
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Seems to be working Reply with quote

I don't know what happened. I power cycled the unit, by disconnecting and then reconnecting the device and it seems to have come up now. I did this when the machine was turned off. It does seem a little flakey however. I am going to try a component cable for this TV I am looking at (not for monitoring, just for an interlaced SD display to compare) and see if that makes any difference in the picture. I will continue on and hopefully this problem dosen't replicate itself again, however the quality of input on the composite isn't up to par. I still get the vertical lines down the screen. I understand VHS will look soft, especially older tapes, but these weird lines I am not sure about. Confused
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KeyDesignz,

Can you try with another deck?

Please keep us upated on your findings.

Regards

Vic
Tech support
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: That was the output Reply with quote

That was the output I was referring to being flakey, the input from composite still has the vertical lines. I know it's not the deck as I used to capture through the PD-170 on it and it was clean, it's the Matrox MXO2 Mini. The output seems to be working now, but needed to be pulled out from power and plugged back in.
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello KeyDesignz,

Thank you for the update.

If the problem arises again, I will be able to establish an RMA replacement for you.

Regards

Vic
Tech support
KeyDesignz
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Is this behavior normal? Reply with quote

Is it normal when Final Cut timeline is paused, that the HDMI monitor blinks on and off (completely off blank screen) and every now and again and I get weird colours occasionally on the screen, whether it is playing or not? The colours only last for a couple of seconds, so I ignore them. But is this something that is normal with the unit?
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video out options - try between YUV or RGB. Do you still experience the same problem KeyDesignz?

Regards

Vic
Tech support
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Final Cut Studio & QuickTime based software (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: