Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't make SD Matrox MPEG I-frame sequence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2015 (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeoverstreet
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Can't make SD Matrox MPEG I-frame sequence Reply with quote

After sampling analog NTSC using the Matrox MPEG I-frame codec at the default 25Mbps (archiving good ol' VHS, Hi8, etc. at 720x480), I right click on the file in the project bin and select "Create sequence from file." It creates a DV format sequence with a yellow bar. I don't even see SD Matrox MPEG I-frame as a choice when selecting settings for a sequence. I see all the uncompressed HD and SD (720x486), as well as HD MPEG I-frame, but not MPEG I-frame SD at 720x480.

If I simply use a DV sequence, aren't I missing the better 4:2:2 color, etc?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your OS version? Can you confirm the MXO2 and Adobe version you are running?

If running Adobe CC2015.3 or higher, have you followed the plugin procedure here?: http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=14599

If you have followed the procedure above, you should have an MPEG2 HD and SD folder in Sequence Projects, and under SD folder, there are 2 subfolders with 720x486 and 720x576 folders each with their respect sequences and frame rates.

We can send you a screenshot of the sequence window if needed. Please email mxosupport@matrox.com.
leeoverstreet
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

I'm using 2015.2, since that's the last version where you don't have to do a manual installation of the files.

As I said in the original post, I can see all the possible types of sequence projects EXCEPT 720x480 MPEG I-frame. The 720x486 uncompressed ones are there, but I'm using that 486 vertical resolution since it doesn't appear to be compatible with anything else in the whole wide world I need to use (specifically DVD and YouTube exports). It's kind of frustrating that uncompressed only uses that 486 resolution. Why in the world?

Is there an SD 720x480 (NOT 486) MPEG I-frame sequence setting that I'm just not seeing?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies. We do not have sequence presets for 720x480 in Mpeg2 Iframe SD. This is only available with 720x486 as you are seeing.
leeoverstreet
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I correct that exports from a DV timeline will ignore the fact that it's a DV timeline upon export as long as I don't use preview files? My concern is that without a Matrox-specific sequence setting for MPEG I-frame at 4:2:2 color (WHY NOT??? *sigh*), my SD videos created in DV sequences will be reduced to the 4:1:1 color subsampling of DV.

I *THINK* from reading that Adobe Media Encoder, when loaded from selecting "export" in Premiere, bypasses any sequence settings and generates the exported file from the originals. For example, it would use the aforementioned Matrox 720x480 MPEG I-frame 4:2:2 files to make h.264 640x480 4:2:2 files for YouTube, even though the editing sequence is DV 4:1:1 with the yellow bar. Sorry if I'm repetitive, but does my question make sense? Any idea on this?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The don't use preview files setting in Adobe should retain the original file and its aspect. However, it would be good to do a test since this is an Adobe setting.

See our Release Notes here for additional information: ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/video/doc/Matrox%20MXO2%20Release%20Notes_8.0.pdf
Quote:
When you import DV and MPEG-2 I-frame video clips with a 720 x 480
resolution into a sequence that has a Matrox codec editing mode, the image
size displayed in the Project panel and the Properties window will be 720 x 486. To see the real resolution of the clip, look at the Actual Image Size in the
Properties window. Your clips will be processed and output correctly when you export to file or print to tape.

See also page 89 of the User Guide:ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/video/doc/Matrox%20MXO2%20Installation%20and%20User%20Guide_8.0.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2015 (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: