Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Matrox DvcPro HD 1920 x 1080 (1) or 1280 x 1080 (1.5)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazmatroxc1c2c3
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Is Matrox DvcPro HD 1920 x 1080 (1) or 1280 x 1080 (1.5) Reply with quote

I own a Matrox MX02 Mini Max and Adobe Premiere CS6. I exported a finished AVCHD 1920 x 1080i premiere video project using the Matrox DvcPro HD 1920 x 1080i codec with pixel aspect of (1). I then tested the exported video by importing it back into premiere with the MXO2 hardware still connected and it plays like a charm. The video frame size is 1920 x 1080i with pixel aspect of (1). My premiere sequence size is 1920 x 1080i (1). Here is where things get interesting. My client doesn't have Matrox hardware, so I thought I would test the video again without my hardware attached. I figured he can use the VFW codecs to play the video in his timeline. Well when I imported the video again with no hardware attached, the aspect ratio and video size of the same exported video has changed to 1280 x 1080i (1) and I get a premiere "Clip Mismatch Warning". I checked and the sequence settings are still set the same to 1920 x 1080i (1). The video is squeezed when playing back. To get the video to playback correctly, I have to right click on the video in the bin and choose "modify clip/interpret footage/conform" and set the pixel size to the "DvcPro HD 1.5" setting. It now plays back fine, but the video size still shows 1280 x 1080i. So my question is what size is it really? 1920 x 1080i (1) or 1280 x 1080 (1.5)? What is the correct sequence setting to use? Why does premiere show different video sizes when Matrox hardware is connected or not connected?

Matrox MX02 Mini Max
Matrox Mtx.utils (8.0.0.15342)
Premiere CS6 (6.0.5)
Sequence settings 1920 x 1080i (1)
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is normal and by design. The DVCPRO HD uses smaller raster, and the codec decodes and then scales to full HD. Yes, the file is actually 1280x1080.
When Matrox hardware is connected, Matrox handles the import and decode, however, when hardware is not connected it is Premiere that will import and decode the file.

What happens if you make a new sequence using the DVCPROHD Adobe preset, is it correct now?
chazmatroxc1c2c3
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sam for your fast response! I'm a long time Matrox user starting with the rainbow runner, then Digisuite DTV Max and now MXO2 Mini Max. When I create a new sequence in premiere using the Adobe DVCPROHD 1080i preset (1280h 1080v, pixel aspect ratio 1.5), premiere still imports the video I exported as 1280 x 1080 (1.0). When I drag the video to the timeline I still get the following message. "This clip does not match the sequence's settings. Change sequence to match the clip's settings?". If I choose "yes" the 16x9 window changes to a 4x3 and the video is squished. If I choose "no" the 16x9 program monitor puts black bars on the right and left side and the video is squished in the middle. Once again I have to right click on my video and choose "modify/interpret footage/pixel aspect ratio/conform to DVCPRO HD (1.5)" and everything is fine. I just don't understand why when I exported my video, Matrox's codec didn't export the video with the correct aspect ratio to begin with. It seems like a mistake to me that Matrox should consider fixing in the next software update. The two export sizes Matrox DVCPRO HD AVI gives me is 1280x720 and 1920x1080 and the pixel ratio for both of them is (1.0) and it won't let you change it. From what you are telling me these ratio's are misleading and should really read 960h x 720v (1.3333) and 1280h x 1080v (1.5) respectively, which are the correct DVCPRO HD specs. I would have been better off exporting a Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame HD for my client. I just thought DVCPRO HD was a common codec that most video editing programs support. Now I have to tell my client when he imports my finished video, he has to change the pixel aspect ratio. He will probably think I made a mistake. Thank you again for your answer, it's just nice to know what is going on. Very Happy
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. We are not sure why Adobe has DVCPROHD at 1.5 PAR, however, the full HD uses square pixels (PAR 1.0), therefore, the Matrox DVCPRO HD Pixel aspect ratio at 1.0 is being respected since we do scale to full HD with Matrox hardware. This codec was meant for use with Matrox hardware.

As for non-Matrox hardware files, you can use the H.264 codec for your clients ie such as MP4 or MOV. The Matrox MAX H.264 codec can export to MP4 on Windows platform. There is also the native H.264 Adobe codec as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: