Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Video and no audio with HDMI capture - SOLVED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2015 (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HDVideo
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Black Video and no audio with HDMI capture - SOLVED Reply with quote

I have installed the preview version of PP CC 2015 and Mtx.utils Version 8.0.0.15342. Installation went without problems and all Matrox items in Device Manager are good. System specs:

Win7 Pro 64 Service Pack 1
i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 w/4Gb RAM
Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration
MXO2 Mini (not MAX)

I have been running this hardware for a few years with PP CS 5.5 with no issues, although I never tried to capture video using HDMI on the MXO2 on that setup. I have captured SVHS tape without problems.

Using PP CC 2015 (Trial Version), HDMI capture from a Sony Bluray player though PP CC 2015 or Matrox AV Utilities produces blank/black video and no audio. The MX02 is recognized and HDMI input says OK. There is no video or audio preview on the screen although capture proceeds and a file is created. Both Matrox M2v and Matrox AVI formats were tried with the same results.

What am I missing?

[Edit] - The Bluray disc I'm trying to capture is one I created in Encore.

Last edited by HDVideo on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
HDVideo
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional information on this problem.

I connected Component cables to player and MXO2 and at first it would not connect at all. Then after reconnecting the HDMI cable, the Component output from the player was recognized and I could capture video from within CC 2015. Turned on audio meters and see that audio is being received, but still no audio when captured clip is placed on the timeline and captured video is 720x480 in the project window not 1920x1080 like the source.

I then tried to capture the same video using Matrox AV Tools. HDMI still doesn't work, but I could capture using Component out from player. This video clip when imported into CC 2010 is the proper format, 1920x1080 and audio is present.

I'm confused (but that's nothing new).
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MXO2 does not support capturing to SD via HDMI inputs. Can you make sure the HDMI input format of the device is not SD, NTSC or PAL?

Also, the HDMI signal has HDCP, or copy-protection, that is one reason why Component seems to work.

Can you try another source device?

Can you verify in Premiere that the audio and video are set to Matrox Player in Media Preferences? What is the exact version of Premiere CC2015?

Please let us know your results.
HDVideo
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Sam.

First off, HDCP is a feature of the player, correct? So I can't even import BluRay discs that I've created myself with Encore using HDMI? Is the HDMI input on the MXO2 just for capture from a camera or how can it be used?

CC 2015 is version 9.2.0 (41 Build) and Mtx.utils is 8.0.0.15342

I did have the capture resolution in CC set to NTSC, so that is why it was down-converting the 1080i Component input during tests yesterday. I was able to change that today (seems it was greyed out yesterday), but unable to try another capture because for some reason, I can't connect to the MXO2. I tried about everything I could think of, but still no connect to Component input. MXO2 box is fairly warm/hot to touch so maybe I've got a hardware issue.

Switching to Matrox AV Tools, using the same hardware and cables (nothing touched), I can connect and capture 1080i source to a file.

As for having Matrox Player set in CC 2015, if I select Matrox Player in Preferences/Audio Hardware, audio is good. If I set Matrox Player in Preferences/Playback, I hear no audio using the same clip. If I switch to Adobe Desktop Audio, leaving Matrox Player selected in Audio Hardware section, audio is good.

I haven't had a chance to try HDMI input with a different player. I've got one I can try, just haven't had a chance to hook it up.
HDVideo
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Problem SOLVED Reply with quote

OK - I think I found the problem.

There was a menu setting on the player to select HDMI/Component and selecting Component seems to have solved the problem of intermittent/no connection with MXO2. It was driving me nuts because sometimes it would work and sometimes not. Setting it to Component out allows 1080i capture (video and audio) from within CC 2015 and also with Matrox AV Tools.

I'm still not sure what's going on with the Matrox Player settings in Preferences, but it's working so I'm going to say this one is solved. Sam, if you have any comments on how those should be set, I'm listening, but otherwise we can close this one out.

Thanks!
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news HDVideo and thanks for the update.

You can set the Video and Audio device to Matrox Player in Premiere Preferences, however, you will need the external monitor connected to MXO2 output and for audio, you can set up a set of speakers to be able to hear audio through MXO2 (ie. from RCA out of MXO2 and connector jack to speakers). Otherwise, you can leave the Audio set to Adobe Desktop Audio and monitor audio through system sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2015 (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: