Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matrox wipes cause soft looking video during wipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbgradin
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Matrox wipes cause soft looking video during wipe Reply with quote

I have been using Matrox Mini for 5 years with no problems and now I am seeing the video go soft during a Matrox diagonal wipe. I never used to see this before. I use Premiere Pro CS6. I also uninstalled previous version of Matrox Utilities 7.1 or something) and upgraded today to the newest Matrox Utilities version 8.0 thinking this would fix the problem but I still see the soft video. I also installed the newest version of the Matrox effects. I am editing in AVCHD, 1920 by 1080 30p (which is how the raw footage was shot) and exporting to 720 by 480 progressive, which I do all the time with no previous issues. Too bad, I may have to now just use Premiere wipes (which work fine, no soft video during Adobe wipes) but I like the Matrox effects because I can put a soft edge on the line of the wipe. If someone can help me figure out a fix or what the problem is, please reply. I am on a deadline so a quick response would be appreciated.
sbgradin
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify: No softness occurs withing Premiere Pro. It occurs on the m2v file encoded via Adobe Media Encoder that gets burned onto the DVD. Again, I am filming and editing in 1920x1080 30p, exporting a progressive DVD file via Adobe Media Encoder. The softness occurs during the wipe and only on the DVD.
sbgradin
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update (very strange): I did an export to MPEG2-DVD from within Premiere by mistake (I usually do a Queue to Adobe Media Encoder so I an do other things while the encoding is happening) and now the softness during the wipe is gone. I always keep the Use Previews box on the Video tab unchecked (all those boxes I leave unchecked) but maybe for some reason AME uses Preview files anyway, while exporting to DVD directly from Premiere does not (as long as the aforementioned box is unchecked). If anyone can offer feedback for differences between exporting from within Premiere vs Queue to AME, I would love to hear it.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To confirm, you are not seeing the issue while playing back directly in Premiere?

Do you perform a render and see the same issue after playback in Premiere?

Are you using GPU CUDA acceleration in Premiere?

Have you tried a matching Mpeg2-Iframe HD sequence using the same footage?

Are you selecting the Use Maximum Render Quality setting in Export Settings via AME?
See these helpful Adobe links:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1285410
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/959783
sbgradin
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Matrox Support, thanks for responding. This issue is not seen in Premiere, only seen on exported m2v file or on DVD as I stated earlier. Whether or not I render preview files in Premiere, no difference, Matrox wipe transition still soft. I do use acceleration and have 9 month old workstation, has all the latest updates on GPU drivers and Matrox drivers. I have tried Matrox IFrame HD sequence, again no difference. I have tried Max render quality, again no difference.

During today's more rigorous testing of this issue, I do notice that only Premiere has check box for using preview files on export (which I do not check). When looking at the same export settings Preset in AME that I created in Premiere, there is no check box for preview files to uncheck so perhaps AME is creating its own preview files that go soft with Matrox transitions. I was able to export directly from Premiere with no softness on the Matrox wipe transition. It is when I do Queue to AME that the Matrox wipe transition goes soft.

Today I also looked at a wedding DVD from 2014 and noticed this problem when using Matrox transitions so it appears this has been going on for awhile, I just never noticed it before. I used a longer transition this time (2 sec.) and this is why I am now noticing the softness problem.

In a nutshell: exporting HD timeline to SD m2v file via Queue to AME causes soft video during Matrox transitions. However, direct export from Premiere (whether it is using Premiere AVCHD presets or Matrox IFrame presets) results in clean Matrox transitions, no softness.

Downconverting HD to SD using Adobe products has never yielded the best results for me but this softness issue that occurs on Matrox transitions after exporting via Queue to AME I think is something that should be brought to the attention of Matrox Support Team. If my issue proves consistent with other users and/or at your end, perhaps at least this issue can be added to the next version of Matrox Release Notes.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. We do not have a planned release, however we can send this information to the appropriate department.

As a workaround, please use direct exports in Premiere as you have mentioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: