Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playback stutters with MXO2 mini on Mac Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdsilverman22
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Playback stutters with MXO2 mini on Mac Pro Reply with quote

I've had my MXO2 mini for a few years and when I used it with my Macbook Pro it worked really well when sending a video signal from Premiere Pro to my Sony broadcast monitor. However, when I purchased my Mac Pro the playback has been really bad. On my Macbook Pro, if I would play un-rendered footage from my Premiere Pro timeline the video would stutter a little but the audio would play back perfectly. This was fine because I could just reduce the resolution to 1/2 and most footage played back really well.

However, on my new Mac Pro (which is a much faster computer) whenever I play anything that has either red or yellow lines over the footage, I get really bad stuttering in the audio to the point where I have to render pretty much everything I want to playback if I don't want the audio to stutter.

If I switch the audio output to my Mac Pro's internal speaker then the audio sounds great. So it's only when I send the audio through the MXO2 that this happens.

I've had experiences where I have 1080p 23.98 ProRes 422 footage with no filters or effects and when I try to play it the audio still stutters. I've also had experiences where I've rendered footage with filters so that the green line appears and I still have the audio stuttering problem.

When I was on my Macbook Pro I don't ever remember having this issue so I'd like to hear any suggestions for how to fix this or a possible workaround.

My Mac Pro is a 6 Core Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D500s, 512GB Solid State Internal Drive and have it connected to a G-RAID 6TB Thunderbolt Drive. The MXO2 mini is connected to Yamaha Monitor speakers through RCA cables.

Thanks!
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, please list the following details:

1. MAC OSX Version
2. Adobe Premiere CC 2014 full version:
3. Matrox driver version:

Does this audio issue if playing back the footage without the Matrox drivers installed?

Suggestions:

With the Matrox drivers installed, before launching Premiere, verify that your MAC default audio output setting is NOT set to Matrox for input or output.

Launch Premiere, go to Premiere Preferences->Audio Hardware, verify that your Audio Hardware and Audio Output Mapping settings are NOT set to Matrox.

In Premiere Preferences -> Player Settings, enable the Video Device by selecting the 'Matrox player' option. Set the 'Audio Device' option to 'Matrox player'. Monitor the audio and video on your external monitor. Does the issue persist?
mdsilverman22
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 10.9.5 on my Mac Pro.

Adobe CC 2014 list the following:

8.2.0 (65) Build
2014.2 Release
Adobe Premiere Pro CC v8.1, Caravan

Matrox driver version is 4.2.0.0006

In system preferences under "Sound" the output is "Headphones" but the input is set to "Matrox MX02 Mini TAB96933 Audio Input PCI Card". I don't see another option for sound input (I'm not sure if my Mac Pro has a built in microphone)

The Audio Hardware and Audio Output Mapping in Premiere Pro are not set to Matrox.

Thanks!

Mike
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these details.

The input audio setting is normal to bet set to Matrox if there are no other input devices on your MAC.

Please try this:

- Close all applications

- Install and run the Preference Manager application: http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

- Clear the Premiere preferences using Preference manager

- Empty trash

- Restart MAC

- Launch only Adobe Premiere

- Setup your scratch disk locations

- Start a new project

- Import a 1080p 23.98 Prores file and then create a sequence from the clip

- Set the playback preferences to output video and audio using the MXO2

- Try playback at both full and half resolution with the dropped frames indicator enabled

- Monitor the cpu usage during playback using the cpu activity monitor utility.

- Let me know the results of the playback, whether dropped frames are reported and whether the cpu activity goes about 75%.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: