Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO2 Mini with Max - 4 hours to render out 40 min clip

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reelinspirations
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: MXO2 Mini with Max - 4 hours to render out 40 min clip Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm on a MacBook Pro 8,3 with 2.5GHz Core i7 processor with 16GB of ram and a 1TB SSD.

I'm using the MXO2 driver 4.2.0.0006 and I'm on OSX 8.5
I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2014 and Media Encoder CC 2014 which are both up to date.

My video footage is on an SSD hooked up via a Thunderbolt dock.

I'm exporting from a 4K timeline that was shot with a Sony FS7.

The clip is about 45 minutes long and it is taking over 4 hours to render out using the Matrox presets.

All I'm trying to do is get the footage out for my client to review in an SD h.264 sized video file.

I have 4 of these clips and 16+ hours of render time is unacceptable.

Any ideas as to why it is SO slow?

The red light is cycling on/off on the MXO2 Mini.

Thanks,

Jim
Matrox_Support_Vlad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Encoding times vary based on many factors. Most importantly is the codec of the source video.

Please note MAX chip always encodes at the same speed. What differs is how long it takes for the video data to be ready. For example, encoding Prores source files is faster than encoding Prores HQ or XDCAM files. It's not MAX that is doing anything slower, it's that these dense codecs require more time to decompress and actually make the video data ready to MAX. Once the video data is made available to MAX, it processes it at its normal speed. This is why encoding time will vary based on your source file codec.

What Matrox preset have you used to render the file in Adobe Media Encoder?
Matrox_Support_Vlad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional info some users might find helpful regarding MAX encoding speed.

The Max technology is a dedicated hardware encoder, and relies on the encoding software being used to provide the frames to be encoded. Many factors can hinder the speed of the MAX encoding, slow disk read speeds, CPU decoding time, effects on the timeline not pre-rendered, and scaling to name a few.

In this particular case, the original timeline is a 4K timeline and the target delivery is SD, in this case, since the timeline is larger than 1080, the maximum resolution for MAX encoding, MAX relies on the application to do the scaling. So in this case, Adobe would need to render the timeline out to a temp file, then decompress the file, then scale the file and finally, send it to MAX for encoding.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: