Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vetura Capture and S-Video

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonkwilliams
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Vetura Capture and S-Video Reply with quote

I have successfully captured DV video/audio from a JVC BR-HD50 deck using Vetura Capture on an iMac running Mavericks. I had to go into my Matrox Mini with Max via Composite cable. Couldn't get it to work with HDMI input. I set output on the deck to 720p and then chose 720p for the "Resolution" in Vetura's "Project Settings." I recorded to the ProRes 422 LT Codec.

However...I'm now trying to record from a Sony EVO 9800A Hi8 deck but getting no joy. As the deck has no component in/output, I'm going into the Matrox with S-Video, using one of the two adapters provided by Matrox. But I can't find a Vetura "Resolution" that the program is happy with. I see solid-colored gobbledigook and bouncing audio, like I did with the DV deck until I found a working "Resolution."

The EVO 9800A outputs, to the best of my knowledge, a simple NTSC 4x3 signal. I've tried 8-bit and 10-bit but neither works. Any thoughts?

I had a cheapie i/o device that connected to the Mac via Firewire 400 and it seemed to ingest anything I threw at it, with no need to tell it what the incoming signal was. (Component, composite, S-Video) Is there any chance Matrox is going to give my Mini back the powers I primarily bought it for, i.e. capturing easily into Final Cut Pro? Compressing with MAX is wonderful but I hardly ever use the device for monitoring purposes. Primarily I needed fast compression and reliable ingestion. What's the holdup on FCPX compatibility?

Thanks.
Matrox_Support_Vlad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

To capture an unstable or low-quality video signal, such as from a low-quality composite or S-Video VCR, select Capture unstable video signals to ensure that the capture application does not stop the capture due to a poor video signal/signal loss. The captured video, however, may include dropped or black frames. If this option is disabled, a low-quality video signal or signal loss may cause the capture application to stop the capture.

User Guide Chapter 7, page 56: http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/mac/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Installation_and_User_Guide_3_3.pdf

Also, before you start capturing you need to configure the A/V input section of the Matrox preferences. Set appropriate input according to the physical connection to device you are capturing from as the source for both Video and Audio. Then make sure that ?scale input for capture? option is not selected. Load Vetura, open the preferences and match the video format to the format being output from your device (camera, deck, etc).

If these steps are followed Vetura Capture shouldn't have any problem ingesting the video signal as long video format is supported. If you were able successfully to capture video and audio from JVC deck that proves the MXO2 hardware is working fine. For more detailed info on MXO2 supported capture video formats please refer to User Guide page 161.

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/mac/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Installation_and_User_Guide_2_6_1.pdf

I checked the specs of the Sony EVO 9800A deck and the only video output format is NTSC via S-Video and Composite. To confirm, S-Video adapter is connected to the Blue-Pb and Red-Pr Input connectors of the MXO2 Mini?

For more detailed information on S-Video connection please refer to User Guide Chapter 6, page 49.

http://www.matrox.com/video/media/pdf/support/mac/mxo2/doc/en_Matrox_MXO2_Installation_and_User_Guide_4_1.pdf

The video signal that Sony deck is outputting, Vetura Capture doesn't like it for some reason. Have you tried connecting Sony deck directly to a monitor and what are the results?

You can also try capturing via Composite output, available on Sony deck as well and see if that makes input detection easier. However, you will need BNC to RCA adapter to do that as Composite output on Sony deck is BNC. Therefore, take Composite video output from Sony deck and connect it to the MXO2 Mini RCA Input Y- Green.

Please note due to a new architecture the FCP X capturing is not available.

I hope this helps.
Matrox_Support_Vlad
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will lock this case but please start a new post for any new issues you encounter.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: