Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between "Fast Encode" & "High Quality" Preset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinknoodles
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Difference between "Fast Encode" & "High Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine the difference between "Fast Encode" & "High Quality" presets in Compressor 4.1.

I'm on 10.9.3, with FCPX 10.1.1 and Compressor 4.1.1 (though Compressor 4.0.x exhibited the same issue for me), with a MXO2 Mini Max on Firmware 15.0, and 4.1.0.0019 drivers.

From the product documentation on the drivers, my understanding is:

Fast Encode - Uses both your CPU and MAX encoder together for the fastest-possible encode, while possibly sacrificing some quality.

High Quality - Uses only the MAX encoder and leaves your CPU relatively idle so you can continue your workflow with no strain on your processor.

I'm using the Youtube 1920x1080 30 44.1 preset for encoding and whether I choose "Fast Encode" or "High Quality", ProMSRendererTool uses about 200-250% CPU, and both seem to use the MAX hardware because of the blinking light, and encode speed seems approximately the same.

I would've thought that using "Fast Encode", it would consume more of my CPU for faster encodes, almost like a cluster of my CPU and the MAX CPU. And conversely, that "High Quality" would use very little, if any CPU.

Have I done something wrong?
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thinknoodles,

As per our conversation, with today's faster computers and the fact that you were not scaling the video, what you are seeing is normal.

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
thinknoodles
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Peter wrote:
Hi thinknoodles,

As per our conversation, with today's faster computers and the fact that you were not scaling the video, what you are seeing is normal.

Thanks for the help, Peter. I've been playing a bit more with Compressor and having a 4-core (8 virtual core) machine, Compressor allows me to add a single additional instance and when I enable "job segmenting", Compressor is capable of using 100% CPU across all 8 virtual cores (more or less), resulting in very fast encodes.

However, with the "additional instances" checked, when I choose one of the Matrox presets (for example, fast encoding for Youtube 1080p/30/44.1Khz), the job starts but then will fail because "Hardware is already in use".

I understand that the MXO2 Mini Max can only handle a single job at a time, but I was hoping that Compressor, or the settings distributed by Matrox for Compressor would allow the MXO2 to be able to handle one instance of Compressor, while my CPU could handle the other. (Or, ideally, but this is a dream, that I'd be able to enable a 3rd instance of compressor, 2 running on my CPU and 1 on the MXO2).

Any chance that either scenario is possible?
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thinknoodles,

I have moved this thread to the product feature enhancements section of our forum so that his can possibly be added in a future release.

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
thinknoodles
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Peter wrote:
Hi thinknoodles,

I have moved this thread to the product feature enhancements section of our forum so that his can possibly be added in a future release.

Thanks! That would be great! =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: