Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering a MX02 mini, have concerns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeoverstreet
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Considering a MX02 mini, have concerns Reply with quote

I'm considering getting an MX02 mini. By the specs, it seems to do what I want (input SD via S-video, input HD via component, input HD via HDMI, output Adobe Premiere program window full screen to a consumer HDTV via HDMI), but we all know there are sometimes nitpicky problems. I used to own a Matrox RT.X100, so I know this. Smile So...

1) Will the MX02 mini output ANY project via HDMI to the TV? In the RTX100 days, it would only output the proprietary Matrox MJPEG NTSC format to the standard def TV. I'll be using HD video from a Canon DSLR, HDV from a Canon camcorder, HD video from an Android cell phone, HD via component from a cable box, and a bunch of SD video in DV as well as analog formats from old home movies (Hi8, VHS, etc.).

2) Does the S-video adapter come with the MX02 mini, and will video sampled by this method have significantly better image quality than such video sampled through a DV camcorder using pass-through digitization?

3) Is audio in the Premiere project still routed through my SoundBlaster audio card while the picture goes out via HDMI?

4) I build my own PCs, but you only list two motherboards from Gigabyte that you have verified. How similar does the motherboard have to be to those two listed? Must it have the same chipset (Z77 for Intel)? I'm planning an Intel i7 based PC with 16GB RAM, nVidia video card, an SSD and two 6GB/s SATA hard drives. When I tried to move the old RTX100 to a new PC in 2007, it was a pain to get it running, and it suffered from the dreaded audio sync problem.

If someone would be so kind as to address these concerns for me, I'm just about ready to "add to cart." Smile

Thanks!
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can answer for you (owning a full MXO2),

1. The MXO2 will output whatever the Adobe "Mercury transmit" engine hands through to it.

2. You get adapter cables. Haven't tested for quality, but the conversion back to composite is only just prior to entering the unit ... limiting the opportunity for any RF interference to happen.

3. Audio will go through your MXO2 unit.

4. Use the VideoGuys DIY when it comes to motherboards and systems. They've done all the research. We're well past the old days when hardware was barely enough to prevent us from having dropped frames. (http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY+10+++Our+wait+for+Thunderbolt+is+over/0x86959ff2ee4098c3eef68b2070f368dd.aspx)

Andrew
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Andrew's comments, I was a long-time user of both the RT.100 and RT.X2 units. Yes, they were finicky about hardware for the simple reason that they did a ton of RT effects processing, and therefore the Matrox hardware was very tightly integrated, and dependent on, the motherboard and graphics card being used.

The MXO2 is quite different in that all the video hardware is in the external box and the only thing that goes into the computer is a simple PCI-e interface card. MXO2 does not use the graphics card for RT effects either. So basically, MXO2 will "just work" with any PC really, including laptops (with adapter).

So go ahead and build a nice little Core i7 machine with a decent Nvidia card such as the GTX 760/770/780 series (to get GPU acceleration in Premiere) and it will play nice with MXO2.

With CS5.5 and prior, you DID need to use a "Matrox Sequence" in order to play out through MXO2, but beginning with CS6, no longer the case, the MXO2 is more transparent to the system. Use any Adobe sequence (DV, HDV, DSLR, AVCHD, etc.) and it just plays through the MXO2 like magic. This is due to the "Adobe Mercury Transmit" that Andrew mentioned.

As for audio, the default is that Premiere sound plays out through MXO2, but you can simply change a setting to "Adobe Desktop Audio" and that will route sound through sound card as usual if that's your preference.

Regarding SD analog capture quality, I've not tried to compare DV conversion versus Matrox capture specifically, but I will say that Matrox captures as 4:2:2 while DV compression uses 4:1:1 color.

Output - while you may be able to get SD output via HDMI, it doesn't look so pretty since the display is going to "blow it up" and for SD editing, I would recommend using an SD CRT if possible to see the video as it is meant to be viewed. Note that MXO2 can also upscale the output, so you could output SD as 1080i to your display, but still getting blown up and is not a true representation of what you're editing really.

If interested, Safe Harbor does include a FREE MXO2 tutorial with any MXO2 purchase, and free shipping as well.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
www.sharbor.com
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello leeoverstreet,

So much has changed since the Rtx100 days. For ease of use and installing, Rtx100 needed motherboards from its own era. So trying an Rtx100 install with an I7 based motherboard, I highly doubt it would work. Back then it was AGP graphic cards.

Its much easier now. As the others mentioned, stick with an fairly new Intel chipset based system. Onboard sound is enough as well. The PCI-e card is a x1 card. If placed in a faster PCI-e slot, that slot will still work.

Those old Rtx100 video effects and the whole Rtx100 Effects GUI is not going to be present. Our effects/transitions are more uniform to the standard adobe effects/transitions.

Attempting to import an old Rtx100 project, which had Rtx100 video effects in it won't import into an MXO2 project.

For the MXO2 line, there are 2 main differences, Max editions and Non Max editions. Max editions have a red light and additional hardware for H.264 encoding. The Non Max versions have a blue light and cannot be upgraded to a Max later on.

If you need to export your finished projects quickly to say Bluray or YouTube, the Max editions of the MXO2 will be worth the extra money in the long run.

I just wanted to lay out the cards for you. MXO2 has been a solid product for us, very flexible, and works with PC and Macs.

Which version of the adobe suite did you want to use? Note currently drivers are for Windows 7 64bit. Windows 8.1 64bit is being looked into from our engineers.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Regards

Vic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam