Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Add HDMI Input Support for Computer Resolutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmarques
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Add HDMI Input Support for Computer Resolutions Reply with quote

In a follow up to this post, please add support for common computer resolutions everywhere necessary. This includes the H.264 Capture Tool as well as Matrox AV Tools.

The MXO2 seems to be a fantastic device to capture ANY video source on the go. However, when I tried to capture an HDMI output from a computer, I could ONLY use NTSC, PAL, 720, or 1080. NTSC is too low of a resolution for computers and 720/1080 are both 16:9 aspect.

I would like to see support for more common computer resolutions such as:

1024x768
1366x768
1440x900
1680x1050
1280x1024
1920x1200

This makes the MXO idea for capturing the presentation output of computers as well as for doing screencasts, etc.

I should also point out that the MXO2's EDID that it sent my computer listed more resolutions than what I could select as the input resolution. I would think the list of input resolutions should match that of the EDID table.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you need ...

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/convert_dvi_plus/

You're welcome.

Andrew
nmarques
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no... I don't want to convert my signal for another $900. I just want this MXO2 to recognize standard computer resolutions as formats that can be recorded. If the record format is a video resolution, it could letter box or scale blackbar the picture.

1024x768
1280x800
1280x1024
1600x1200
1680x1050
1920x1200
nmarques
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, to go along with that. I think those resolutions need to support RGB color.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the additional functions built in, it might take even longer to get updated drivers out as there will be even more complexities to test against. Smile

The bigger issue might be that the MXO2 is a professional video device, with dedicated chip-sets / hardware specific to this task.

It would be necessary to build in additional hardware for this sort of processing. This would then raise the price of the average unit when most users won't require those extra functions ... which would affect all of us. Best to have a separate unit for those that need those functions.

My personal workaround for this is to use a screen recording app, and then place the resulting file in a Premiere Pro timeline. If someone is presenting from a Mac computer, the internal screen recording app that comes with the operating system does an excellent job. (It also records the audio which is very handy for quickly aligning the recording against your main cam of the presenter.)

Andrew
nmarques
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, screen capture software that produces good quality uses quite a bit of resources. A lot of times, the PCs I need to record are not my own and can't just go installing software to do this.

I could understand if the chipset in the MXO doesn't have other resolutions in it, but to the extent that it is a professional device, I would think it could handle ANY resolution you send it. Seems to me the resolutions available are just pre-set. I don't see how 1024x768 or 1680x1050 would require any more processing than 1080i or 1080p inputs as those are more data.

I use a Barco Screen Pro II HD in production and one of the best things about it is that it just has an "Acquire" button that will figure out what you are sending it and lock on. Then again, that unit costs a pretty penny.

I am going to try a $100 StarTech Capture Card, which says it supports XGA. It will be highly disappointing if that works, but my expensive MXO doesn't.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean when it comes to having no control over the (usually) laptop that is going to be running a presentation. It's one of those things that makes our video world so much fun!

At least with the modern Macs, their on-screen recording is *very* good. Take a look at this video to see the quality of the screen recording. https://vimeo.com/46561574

For instances where it's a PowerPoint / slide display on the screen, I run a wide camera which has the screen within its view. I obtain a copy of the PPT file at the time, export slides out to HD resolution, and then place these along the timeline (as a third camera) in sync with what is happening on the wide cam. I then multi-cam edit the lot.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

Andrew
nmarques
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Smith wrote:
I know what you mean when it comes to having no control over the (usually) laptop that is going to be running a presentation. It's one of those things that makes our video world so much fun!

At least with the modern Macs, their on-screen recording is *very* good. Take a look at this video to see the quality of the screen recording. https://vimeo.com/46561574

For instances where it's a PowerPoint / slide display on the screen, I run a wide camera which has the screen within its view. I obtain a copy of the PPT file at the time, export slides out to HD resolution, and then place these along the timeline (as a third camera) in sync with what is happening on the wide cam. I then multi-cam edit the lot.

Hope this helps in the meantime.

Andrew

Manually syncing PPT slides is exactly what I am trying to avoid. The production this is for is a live stage event and there are over 600 slides. Takes me a week at least to sync these even with a Spycam to sync with.

I got a StarTech ECHDCAP ExpressCard for under $130. Works perfectly. Quality is top notch. Not a lot of settings but gets it done.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I hear you when it comes to heaps of slides that need to be converted. I just face up to the prospect of half an hour or so of rapid action mental monotony.

(I set the screen to 1920 x 1080 res, and screen grab with the "Print Screen" key each slide as I work through the presentation mode of the file, alt-tabbing over to Photoshop to past in to a new soc, and back again. Tedious, but it works.)

Andrew
nmarques
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried several workflows. I used to use a program called Universal Document Converter. It essentially does a batch print to file type operation. Lots of settings and control over output. Any file type. Then I have PNGs for each slide. Problem here is that the PPTs evolved into having animations and that doesn't work here.

I actually did use the MXO2 before for this but yes, the resolution was 1080p with my 1024x768 slides centered in the frame. After I recorded to MP4, I had to do a crop and transcode on it. Then I had to chop up the video into each slide.

I use a spycam for the change points and drop markers in PrPro.

If I can record this live in native resolution I would be very happy.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there too, but not with the same app.

I'm pretty much accepting that unless they start creating wide-screen presentations, there is always going to be black bars at the sides.

Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: