Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

only h264 recording?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox Mojito MAX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: only h264 recording? Reply with quote

Hi
im looking at buying a Matrox mojito max and maybe later a second one of these cards, however i was wondering is it only able to capture h264, or can i not use that side of the card and capture raw? The reason i ask is that reading online people say that using h264 is not good for an editing format. i know i wouldn't be using the strongest point of the card but i was hoping to have flexibility to use both.

Thanks
Alex
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: only h264 recording? Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

For editing purposes, you would capture as an .avi file, which uses the Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame codec (SD or HD) This provides 4:2:2 color and can be set between 100-300Mbps capture rate (for HD). Optionally, one can also record as 8 or 10-bit uncompressed, but most people would not need that, as it requires massive, fast (expensive) storage.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers
www.sharbor.com
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

H.264 is a format for distribution, not really for editing, so you are correct.

With the Mojito and for example the adobe suite, it captures avi files, which are easy to edit. Once the project is ready, the card can export as a H.264 file format for bluray or iphones etc. Hence distribution.

Regards

Vic
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff, I didn't see you put in your 2 cents! Good details. Alex, does this clear things up for you?

Regards

Vic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox Mojito MAX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam