Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mxo2 to convert hdv to dvcpro hd

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raizman
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: mxo2 to convert hdv to dvcpro hd Reply with quote

I'm shooting a doc on an hvx200 in 720/24pN. I'm editing in fcp2 on a dvcpro hd timeline on a intel core two 2.5 ghz Macbook pro . About 10% of the footage is being shot in hdv on a Canon hv20. I'd like to edit it all in dvcpro hd and it appears that the hdv footage from the hv20 can be converted to dvcpro hd by the mxo2. Is there any loss of image quality as a result of this? Would importing the hdv footage as prores422 be better?

Thanks,
Dave
Joseph
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
The MXO2 can capture to whatever format, codec your system can handle since it's the QuickTime engine that is doing the encoding of the video. So yea you can output from your HDV camera and capture in to the system via the MXO2 to DVCPRO HD.
Would there be any image quality loss by doing an output from the camera and capturing to another format...no there will not be any quality loss.
Would importing the footage as ProRes422 be any better...that depends. By that I mean, ProRes422 is a great codec that has it's advantages over HDV such as the ability to withstand multiple generations of encoding without suffering any notiiceable loss of quality and the fact that it is a full raster codec, meaning the video does not need to be scaled up on output.
The drawback to ProRes422 is you need a pretty strong system to do any capture to ProRes. The current generation of MacBook Pros cannot handle ProRes capture in HD.
You could end up doing captures to another codec, such as HDV and then rendering a new file to ProRes, but as the saying goes, garbage in, garbafe out...meaning you can't improve the visual quailty by going to another codec if you started with a codec of lesser quality.

I hope that helps.

cheers,

Joe
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do to inactivity of this thread, it will now be locked.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam