Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about MXO2mini

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerhard
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Question about MXO2mini Reply with quote

Hi there.

I'm trying to understand how this unit works.
Is it a portable, stand alone HDMI recorder or do I have to be connected to a computer while I record?
Can I record on it and later dump the acquisition on a hard drive?
If this is so, what capacity ( in minutes ) does it provide?

Thank you.

Gerhard
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerhard
The MXO2 Mini is an I/O device designed to act as a conduit for Input and Output operations from a connected host computer. Essentially it is providing your computer with the connections required for working with today's commonplace consumer/prosumer video formats. It does not provide any function whatsoever when not connected to a host computer.
Hope that helps
Andy
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Mees wrote:
Hi Gerhard
The MXO2 Mini is an I/O device designed to act as a conduit for Input and Output operations from a connected host computer. Essentially it is providing your computer with the connections required for working with today's commonplace consumer/prosumer video formats. It does not provide any function whatsoever when not connected to a host computer.
Hope that helps
Andy

Thank you for clearing this up.
Now the question is: If I use a laptop with it, will I be able to use the screen as a monitor in real time? Or will there be lag?

Thanx
G.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you be more specific ... are you talking about hooking the unit up to a laptop for live on set capture, and hence for simultaneous live on set reference monitoring? if so, what software are you intending to use to this purpose? ... or are you asking with regards to using the unit for NLE monitoring?
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Mees wrote:
can you be more specific ... are you talking about hooking the unit up to a laptop for live on set capture, and hence for simultaneous live on set reference monitoring? if so, what software are you intending to use to this purpose? ... or are you asking with regards to using the unit for NLE monitoring?

Sorry I was not clear about that.
I'm talking about taking my rig out on location.The only software I know about is Cineform.So I would go : Camera-MXO2mini-Cineform.
Can I monitor what I shoot in real time on the laptop?.( given that the laptop is powerful enough)Has anyone tested something like that?
I guess I'm trying to understand how portable a rig with the MXO2mini would be.

G.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerhard
I would suggest you check carefully the on the Cineform website and see if your laptop meets the minimum requirements for the Cineform product you intend to use ... it looks to me as though that will / might be an issue.
Andy
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at the NeoHD product Gerhard, and that does look like it may be compatible with a good laptop. Not sure if your workflow is for Mac or PC, but that product notes support for AJA Xena/Kona and Blackmagic Decklink/Intensity I/O hardware, so no reason whatsoever to suspect that it would not work with any other comparable hardware (such as the Matrox MXO2 series of I/O devices). You might want to also ask Cineform support for their insight.
Best
Andy
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Mees wrote:
Just looking at the NeoHD product Gerhard, and that does look like it may be compatible with a good laptop. Not sure if your workflow is for Mac or PC, but that product notes support for AJA Xena/Kona and Blackmagic Decklink/Intensity I/O hardware, so no reason whatsoever to suspect that it would not work with any other comparable hardware (such as the Matrox MXO2 series of I/O devices). You might want to also ask Cineform support for their insight.
Best
Andy

Thank you Andy.
Good advice. I'm in the process of building my whole rig from scratch.
That includes a computer as well.I'm currently on a 6 year old PC that is set up for sound recording and has some ancient graphic card. I know that would not cut the mustard.I like the idea of uncompressed data since I do a lot of Stock Footage. But the thought of dragging around a Computer gives me a back ache already.
I think I better wait for the RED Scarlet to materialize. That's what(I think) I really want anyway.
Thank you again Andy.

Gerhard
Matrox_Support_Vic
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do to inactivity of this thread, it will now be locked.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2 Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam