Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delay in stopping playback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagleburger
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Delay in stopping playback Reply with quote

I've just started to use the new CC drivers. So far, so good - except that the age old delayed playback stopping bug is still there.

What I mean is that when you try to stop playback using the space bar or K key, the playhead continues to run on for a few frames. As editing is a frame accurate concept this is rather unhelpful. This issue has been there since the early days and I thought would have been fixed through the introduction of Mercury Transmit - with the simplified coding required to make the drivers. I'm pretty sure you came up with a parameter tweak on the RT.X2, but I can't figure out how to fix it now.

Your earliest advice would be really appreciated...

Thanks very much

Julian
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Julian,

Just ran a test here and the playhead seems to stop with acceptable precision on my test system. Can you confirm that you are running Adobe Premiere CC 7.0.1 with Matrox 4.0.0.0042?

How are you measuring the lag? Do you see the same lag if looking at the Premiere Program window?
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i have always noticed my monitor (powered by matrox) is always a frame or two behind the program monitor in premiere... This makes showing an edit or editing with it pretty useless... I have the audio coming out of my MXO2 box and into a mixer... So why is the audio on the program monitor within premiere pro in perfect sync and my external monitor is a frame behind or two behind... I have permiere 7.1 and the new matrox drivers... (dropframe indicator is green all the way though)

This problem has always been there and I just think matrox is not talking about it...

I use my external for color correction so I always just end up getting over this issue but man is it a thorn in my side when I decided I want to edit something...

Also dont switch back and forth between peremeire and after effects to much other wise matrox prefs will go nuts and crash the programs... fatal error has occurred... i.e... matrox went nuts and you need to delete and re-install your prefs

is this stuff being tested on your end with iMacs? or just Mac Pros?
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry forgot to say this... One idea could be you have your edit resolution set very low like 1\4 and in your prefs you have premeire set to go to full resolution on a paused frame... So its going to bug for a second while it switches out the low quality preview for the high one... click the little wrench icon next to the playback rez and set the paused rez to match your playback rez and you might see the problem go away... maybe... haha
Eagleburger
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Joe wrote:
Hello Julian,

Just ran a test here and the playhead seems to stop with acceptable precision on my test system. Can you confirm that you are running Adobe Premiere CC 7.0.1 with Matrox 4.0.0.0042?

How are you measuring the lag? Do you see the same lag if looking at the Premiere Program window?

I'm using the most up to date versions of PP and the Matrox driver. I'm measuring the lag as the time between when I press the space bar or K key and when the image on the program and client monitors actually stops. Even the program monitor is more laggy than when using plain Adobe DV playback mode.

When using the Matrox player, the lag seems worse when the PP playback resolution is less than full (with the pause resolution left on full).

As benjaminbernard say, this has always been a problem with the Matrox drivers. I just thought you would have been able to fix this bug in light of Mercury Transmit.

Thanks

Julian
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian, as mentioned, we do not see any significant lag when starting/stopping playback from the PP timeline. Are both your paused and playback quality settings set to 'full'?

Benjaminbernard, thank you for your feedback. The issue regarding the difference in video output between the program monitor and external monitor was fully investigated by our development team. The conclusion was that it is impossible to get a perfect match since the program monitor in PP is controlled by your computer system and graphic card; and we have no control over those resources. Therefore a slight lag is inevitable.

To answer your question, our software quality assurance team tests our drivers on all types of mac systems.

Regarding the Premiere/After Effects issue, can you start a new thread so we can look into it without veering off course in this thread? Thank you.
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry been on a job...

With the AE switching thing... I was just trying to give a heads up on other gotcha's or problems I have noticed and found ways to avoid... I still occasionally get a fatal crash when I pop back into premiere but its alot better now with mecury transmit... I suspect it will get better with each version too so no need to start a whole new thread for it...

Thats a bummer about the lag between program monitor and matrox ref monitor Sad Is that what the milisec delay is for? Is there way to make it positive?

This actually is really bad when you think about it... I have to have audio sync across my monitors... if matrox has a delay and there is no way around it then why cant matrox pull from one or two frames earlier when you hit play?

So if your paused on a frame matrox will pull that frame and display it on the monitor... But if you hit play matrox will start playing from two frames after the frame that it was paused on...

I am just so confused how you can sell a product thats for professional editing yet the audio coming out of the device can never frame match with picture coming out of the device?

I hit play on my space bar... the audio is coming out of my matrox mxo2 LE with max ($1,500) and into my mixer... Audio is a perfect sync with the program monitor in Peremiere... my matrox ref monitor is one or two frames behind... What is going on why cant you make the matrox run faster then? Why cant it catch up??? Its not like this 8k Uncompressed footage data rate should not be a problem....
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjaminbernard wrote:
Is that what the milisec delay is for? Is there way to make it positive?

... What is going on why cant you make the matrox run faster then? Why cant it catch up???

Which milisec delay are you referring to?

It's not a question of making the MXO2 run faster. It's that it is impossible to be perfectly in sync with the desktop monitor since this is controller by the Mac system and video card along with Premiere. We don't have control over these resources. We simply take the video frames and output them through the MXO2. The audio and video should be in sync on the output. For example, HDMI out for video and audio should be in sync.
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait is that the problem... Should I be going out of my tv to the mixer? Right now I have the tv connect via HDMI and then the audio coming out the RCA jacks that are right next to the HDMI port... Is this a digital to analog problem?
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's possible to get a/v sync issues when output video through a digital port (hdmi) and audio through a analog port (rca). Try to connect the mixer to the audio output of the tv.
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still testing... but seems to solve the problem... Perfect sync on comp monitor and perfect sync on matrox monitor Smile

I got a HDMI audio stripper because the audio out of the TV is optical... and my mixer dose not have an optical input... Do any mixers have a optical audio in?

There really should not be a sync problem coming out of the RCA or it should know to switch to the digital feed if the HDMI is turned on in the main channel... ***** it needed a hardware solution to make it work...
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also can you guys update your forum? the word s.u.c.k.s is not profanity... and I hate being on your forum because of this weird green you guys chose for the fill color and how it messes with your eyes and you see purple lines after...

I really hope this was not on purpose to try to discourage people from using the forum...

Every other forum I am on has a very nice and inviting UI...
benjaminbernard
(MXO2 LE with MAX)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for some reason it says we all joined the forum in 2005... Yea you should fix that too... I joined in 2012... almost 6 years later
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are getting proper a/v sync now.

I do not know about mixers and optical audio input. This is best verified from mixer manufacturers.

There will not be a sync problem provided the video and audio are both being output as both digital or both analog.

We appreciate the feedback on our forums and will forward your comments to our forum setup team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: