Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MXO Audio background noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
visualvideoes
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: MXO Audio background noise Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a MacPro with ATI 5870HD card. There is a background noise with Lion drivers 2.2. Solution??

Thanks
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for missing your post. How would you describe the background noise? Does it sound like a ripple in the audio?
matroxtest
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have the same but with Snow Leopard.

FCP 7.0.3
Snow Leopard with all current updates
2007 8 Core Mac Pro 3.0ghz upgraded with an ATI HD 5870
Matrox MXO software v 2.1.18
Audio monitored on SDI 1&2

I have all my studio audio sources running through a Sony 5.1 receiver, nothing special, just being used as a stereo amp.

I'm getting this irritating line noise from the MXO stereo outputs. It's a pronounced hum and kicks in during playback and scrubbing but at no other time. Kinda sounds like the gain is set too high (probably using the term 'gain' incorrectly there, forgive me). It isn't present when I use an alternative audio output like my old USB sound sticks, only the MXO.

Definitely feels like the levels have somehow gotten out of whack. This receiver is new, seems to be fine for all other sources, it just the MXO FCP audio where I get the problem. My old one was fine. There are a couple of pieces of music in the project I am testing the system with, where I have edited (raised) the levels. They sounded fine with the other receiver and audio output devices but now get noticeably 'clipped' though the MXO.

I checked all connections, uninstalled and reinstalled the software, upgraded the cables, tried different inputs on the receiver, bypassed the receiver and fed it right to the TV that I use as a client monitor (same issue) looked for anything that might be shorting or touching the audio connectors, switched off my AC and the little unshielded fans that keep my RAID enclosure cool, all to no avail.

Still the hum Sad It's def' coming from the MXO

Any ideas?
matroxtest
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick correction in case anyone else reads this or might benefit from it.

My MacPro is actually a 3,1 from 2008 not a 2,1 from 2007.

The HD 5870 is a qualified MXO card and, and whilst it is tested by Matrox, it is not an approved by Apple for the MacPro3,1, and I have a sneaking suspicion this isn't a grounding issue but rather a symptom of some edge case.

In the MXO, the audio is **** through the DVI to retain sync. If it was a grounding issue, I tend to think that the hum would occur persistently. The fact that it only occurs on playback or scrub might indicate a system based incompatibility.

Plenty of reports about it working fine and it has served me well in all other use cases (although I have noticed a couple of glitches).

I might try a 5770 or a nVidia FX 4800 if I can pick one up cheaply.
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the noise happening when playing back sequences in FCP? If so, what is your version of FCP?

As a workaround, can you try routing the audio in FCP to the sound card output?
Matrox_Support_Joe
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good idea would be to try the Nvidia FX 4800 card and not the 5770 (since this might be too similar to the 5870).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: