Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capture Issue with Ventura Capture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RetroLou
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Capture Issue with Ventura Capture Reply with quote

First I want to apologize for posting in this forum as my issue isn't really with Adobe CC, but rather the Matrox capture utility itself. I wasn't sure where I should post this.

My goal is to capture and encode analog video sources directly to an h.264 file. I'm not interested in editing in Premiere, or any other application. I was hoping to simply use the Ventura capture utility in the 2.6.1.001 version of the software.

My issue is that everything seems to be set up correctly.The video signal I'm sending to the box is the composite output of a VHS camcorder (into the Y-in jack) playing back a first generation camera record tape. The video appears pristine during playback in the viewfinder. No glitches or hiccups of any kind. I can see video appear in the capture window, but it doesn't last long before it goes to black.
Or if I hit the record button, the application just freezes up and I get the spinning beach ball.

I've got the Matrox MXO2 Mini with MAX, installed via PCIe card into my 2009 vintage Mac Pro running 10.8.4

I tried installing the latest 4.0 version of the software, but that doesn't include the Ventura capture utility.

Firmware is up to date on my MXO2 Mini.

I'm not sure even how to troubleshoot at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi RetroLou,

Do you have Adobe CC installed? If so, with the MXO2 4.0 drivers, in MXO2 Preferences A/V input, did you select the checkbox to capture unstable video signals?
Vetura Capture is not available with the 4.0 drivers. The 2.6.1 drivers provide Vetura support.

Can you verify your tape is clean? Have you tried other VHS tapes?

Do you have a TBC (time base corrector) on your VHS? This would help send out a better signal with no interruptions from analog source. TBC helps reduce or eliminate errors caused by mechanical instability present in analog recordings on mechanical media. Older analog devices may have an inconsistent signal (ie or drop frames) and therefore, cause similar issues to what you are seeing while capturing.
RetroLou
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sam,

I don't have CC installed. I'm running CS5.5, which is why I originally installed the 2.6.1 drivers.

The tape I'm using is a camera master, and though I don't have a TBC, the playback is completely glitch-free.

I would prefer to use the Ventura Capture to ingest directly to h.264, rather than go through Premiere or FCP 7.

I'm trying to transfer a ton of old footage, and the Ventura workflow would be the most time efficient. Is there a setting in Ventura to enable capture of unstable video?

If I digitize via firewire and a Canopus DV box, I have no problem, but I'd prefer to go straight to h.264 with the MXO2 Max.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Capture unstable video signal option with 2.6.1 drivers. However, you can try unchecking the Vetura Preferences option to Report Dropped Frames and see if this helps.

Please note you cannot capture directly to Matrox H.264 files with Vetura Capture, as this is not supported. You can capture to our Matrox Mpeg2 Iframe mov or ProRes files and then encode to MAX H.264 using Compressor or Media Encoder.

Another option would be to digitize via firewire natively in Premiere, or passthru using Analog composite to MXO2 unit.

Hope this helps.
RetroLou
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a best practice for capturing directly to h.264? If I have to use Premiere or Final Cut to do it, that would still be preferable to a 2-step capture and transcode.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can directly capture to Matrox H.264 using Matrox H.264 Capture app available through the Windows drivers only. This can be an option for direct captures to H.264. http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2_mini_max/productivity_apps/#h_264
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Adobe CC 2014 (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: