Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help using HDMI-to-Component converters with the MXO2 Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sixfortyfive
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Help using HDMI-to-Component converters with the MXO2 Mini Reply with quote

I'm trying to use the MXO2 Mini to record/stream game tournaments on the Playstation 3. The monitors we use only have HDMI inputs (no component), but the PS3 uses HDCP during game playback over HDMI, meaning that we can't use HDMI on our recording devices and must use component instead. I've attempted to use the following setup to circumvent the issue:

Playstation 3 HDMI out -> HDMI splitter -> ...
splitter output 1 -> Asus monitor HDMI input
splitter output 2 -> HDMI to Component converter -> MXO2 Mini component input

I've tried 2 different converters in the above setup (this and this), but neither work with the Matrox device despite both of them being HDCP compliant. The A/V Tools program can detect that there is a device connected via component (status reads as "OK," not "Invalid"), but no signal is displayed, only a blank screen.

I've tried this alternate, simplified setup for testing, using each of the above converters:

Xbox 360 HDMI output > HDMI-to-Component converter -> MXO2 Mini component input

I get the same result with this setup, despite the fact that the Xbox does NOT use HDCP during game playback. Both of these converters work fine when connected to an HDTV instead of the MXO2 Mini, so this suggests to me that the MXO2 Mini is incompatible with these converters.

I have tried connecting my devices via the following setup, but it is not ideal because the VGA converter on the monitor output lags slightly and is thus not ideal for a competitive gaming setup:

Playstation 3 component output -> component splitter -> ...
splitter output 1 -> component-to-VGA converter -> Asus monitor VGA input
splitter output 2 -> MXO2 Mini component input

I would appreciate any advice or help in getting this to work. I purchased the MXO2 Mini with the intent of using it specifically for streaming video game tournaments but am having difficulty accomplishing this on the PS3.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about those convertors, but you might want to try routing through the MXO2 itself and see if thats workable eg PS3 Component Out > MXO2 Mini Component In, then MXO2 Mini HDMI Out > Asus Monitor HDMI In
autumn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to capture - 1080i, 1080p, 720p? Frame rate?

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Andy Mees wrote:
Don't know anything about those convertors, but you might want to try routing through the MXO2 itself and see if thats workable eg PS3 Component Out > MXO2 Mini Component In, then MXO2 Mini HDMI Out > Asus Monitor HDMI In
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. I would have to agree with Andy, PS3 had a component out cable http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Component-AV-Cable-Playstation-3/dp/B000MIXFWA. This is a common workflow from PS3 users. Component into the MXO2 family of products and HDMI out.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Sixfortyfive
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ressurrecting this topic because I'm getting back into this hobby again.

I have double-checked and confirmed that the HDMI-to-component converters that I'm using function fine in other setups. Their component output is able to be read by HDTVs and other capture devices, such as the Hauppauge HD DVR. I still only get a black screen from the MXO2 Mini, despite the fact that the Mini seems to be able to pick up a valid signal from the converters.

This is an issue that I need to resolve in the near future if I'm to continue using this product. It's pretty convenient in just about any other capacity I use it, but not being able to properly detect an HDMI-to-component signal is a deal-breaker and I'll need to look into an alternative.

For the record, I'm using the v5.5.1 drivers because later versions conflict with my audio setup.

Andy Mees wrote:

This is not acceptable because using the Mini as a pass-through device adds too much lag to the signal and I'm intending to use this for a competitive, timing-sensitive purpose.

autumn wrote:
What are you trying to capture - 1080i, 1080p, 720p? Frame rate?

720p 59.94fps
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that your post has been moved to the Technical Support Section of this user forum to be addressed by our Technical Support Team.
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sixfortyfive,

It seems like the converters are working but conserving the copy protection (works when you go to a monitor but not a recording device like the MXO2) Are you sure you are matching the exact input format (720P, 1080i) would it be possible to contact you by telephone to discuss this? If so, just PM your contact info.

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
Sixfortyfive
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Peter wrote:
Hi Sixfortyfive,

It seems like the converters are working but conserving the copy protection (works when you go to a monitor but not a recording device like the MXO2) Are you sure you are matching the exact input format (720P, 1080i) would it be possible to contact you by telephone to discuss this? If so, just PM your contact info.

There is no DHCP copy protection on the device I'm using to test this (Xbox 360). I've confirmed that these converters do pass the signal to other recording devices (DHCP-compliant Blackmagic Intensity, Hauppauge PVR).
Sixfortyfive
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDCP*
Matrox_Support_Peter
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

unfortunately we have not tested these converters here. can you try the follwing:

Quote:
Playstation 3 component output -> component splitter -> ...
splitter output 1 -> component-to-VGA converter -> Asus monitor VGA input
splitter output 2 -> MXO2 Mini component input

but with a monitor that supports component in, by-passing the VGA converter

Peter

Matrox Video Technical Support
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with previous versions of Adobe & other supported software (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: