Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calibrating an EizoFX2431 with MXO2mini

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Mac)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Machito
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Calibrating an EizoFX2431 with MXO2mini Reply with quote

hello from germany,

at first, sorry for my bad english. i will do my best?

i'm running avid mc 6.0.1 on an iMac i7 3,4 ghz (qualified for avid and mxo2mini) with a matrox mxo2mini via thunderbolt adapter (software 3.0.0.0071). for video preview i use an eizo fx2431. this monitor is used by many editors and should work with mxo2mini.

my problem is, getting unusual results when i try to calibrate the hdmi-out on the eizo. i always strictly followed the instructions for calibrating. when i use the "rgb out" the picture is quite good (compared to my sony class 1 crt on the component out). if i switch to" rgb calibrated" it looks like the gamma is extremely shifted. there are tonal breaks. this is not only a nuance! you can see it with the naked eye! it can't be true, that the uncalibrated image is better than the calibrated! i tried it 10 times - every time with the same result!

in the calibration utility i had set the following values: Gamma 50 percent: 53, Gamma 75 percent: -3, Gamma 25 percent: 26, Gamma 12 percent: 13, Gamma 6 percent: 66. Are these values unusual?

could somebody help me?

i'm shure there are other editors out there using this combination (mxo2mini/eizo fx2431). what are your experiences? which values did you use to calibrate gamma?

thanks for your help and best regards!!!
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you confirm your Video output format used in the calibration process?
Does your monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping? If so, is the monitor set to 1:1, FULL or Just Scan image in menu settings?

Are your monitor settings set to mid level ie Brightness and Contrast?
Are the monitor's Advanced/Enhanced settings disabled or turned off prior to calibration?

Are you running the HDMI Calibration process using Not Scaled or Scaled output?
Please see this post link regarding HDMI monitors with a scaled or processed image: http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=7195
If you find that there is additional processing being applied by your monitor, we ask that you proceed in the same manner as you would were there scaling occurring. Namely, skip the Gamma calibration steps in order to use your monitor's default Gamma response levels, and use a third-party blue-only filter to calibrate your monitor's Hue and Chroma using the calibration utility's blue-only filter method.

The HDMI Calibration utility has been updated to include a new processing verification step with the MXO2 2.4 drivers and should be implemented in the next Avid/MXO2 driver release as well.

Hope this information is helpful.
Machito
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your quick reply!

- "Can you confirm your Video output format used in the calibration process?"

i used dnxhd120 media, 1080i50, yuv out of the avid into the mxo2mini. if the mxo2mini is set to RGB image looks quite good (as on my crt). if the mxo2mini is set to RGB CALBRATED image looks gamma shifted.

- "Does your monitor support 1:1 pixel mapping? If so, is the monitor set to 1:1, FULL or Just Scan image in menu settings? "

yes, the eizo supports 1:1 pixel mapping and is set to 1:1 pixel mapping.

- "Are your monitor settings set to mid level ie Brightness and Contrast? "

i tried both, using the adjustments on the eizo to calibrate (as discribed in the calibration utility) and using only the tools of the calibration utility itself. always the same result!

- "Are the monitor's Advanced/Enhanced settings disabled or turned off prior to calibration? "

i set the gamma to 2.2 (can set from 1.8 to 2,8 ) and temperature to 6500 k in the eizo monitor. all other settings in the eizo are disabled.

- "Are you running the HDMI Calibration process using Not Scaled or Scaled output?"

output was not scaled.

i'm confused because the uncalibrated image looks good.
obviously something in the gamma calibration is the problem. i don't think i go wrong with the calibration. what do you think about the gamma values i have set? are they unusual high or low?

when the new avid/mxo2 driver for mac will be released?

thanks and best regards!

[/quote]
Machito
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

i just made a few tests. the problem seems to be the calibration utility doesn't saves the settings correctly!

i made all my settings in the utility. when i click to "save and exit" there is a message "warning: the matrox hdmi calibration file was not successfully saved to your system's preferences". so, the only thing i can do is going back or click "exit without saving". when i quit without saving, there is still a setting file on my hdd (for example mysettings.plist). i can load this setting file but regardless the settings i mad in the utlility all results are the same. this means the file is not saved correctly.

i tried to save the file to different locations on my hdd - always the same problem. when i trie to save the file the admin-password is required. is this normal?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, when saving the calibration file it is normal for a message prompt for username/password.
Can you confirm where you are saving the calibration file? External drive, OSX drive?
Are you saving the file with any special characters or spaces? As a test, please save the calibration file using simple characters and no spaces, ie test1. Please let us know if this works.

While performing the calibration steps, make sure the HDMI output is in fact not scaled. If you are still having problems, proceed in the same manner as you would were there scaling occurring. Namely, perform the White Point, White Level and Black Level steps, skip the Gamma calibration steps in order to use your monitor's default Gamma response levels, and use a third-party blue-only filter to calibrate your monitor's Hue and Chroma using the calibration utility's blue-only filter method.

I do not have a time frame of when the next Avid/MXO2 Mac release will be. As soon as we get any official updates, we will confirm with our users.
Machito
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi sam,

i think i have fixed the problem. matrox calibration utility is unable to save to macintosh HD/User/Documents/matrox presets and also to macintosh HD/User/Documents/. but i can save directly in the user path or above.

now the calibration file is saved correctly and calibration works.

thanks for your help and best regards!!!
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Machito,

Thanks for the update, glad all is working well. We will pass this information along to the appropriate department.
We will lock this case but please feel free to start a new post for any new issues you may find.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Mac) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: