Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Audio staying on while viewing on HDMI monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox Mojito MAX
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: System Audio staying on while viewing on HDMI monitor Reply with quote

Hi,
Very interested in making a purchase this week of one of the MXO2 options or the Mojito MAX. One question - it may seem silly but:

I cut with both Avid (MC 6) and FCP (7). Is it possible to keep your system speakers playing the audio while viewing the external video on a monitor?

Why I want your product: past reliability; easy to connect AND CALIBRATE and HDMI external; the transcoding options and the MAX capability; best bang for buck.

But my question above is crucial. As most editors, I need to cut while previewing on an external monitor. Hence your solutions offered. But I want the system speakers to stay put. It isn't plausible to use the monitor external (HDMI/TV) speakers while cutting. I know this may sound like a silly questions, since Matrox is creating stuff for Avid and FCP. I can't imagine they'd override the system audio. HOWEVER, someone posted under one of your YouTube videos that this could be true. Please clarify when you can. Thanks.

Steve
Steve
(MXO)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

I'm concerned about audio sync from Avid and system speakers and monitoring video with external HDMI monitor. Is this not a good way to monitor video? I was considering the purchase because of your calibration tool for HDMI. But if I am going to lose sync while editing and previewing, this isn't a good solution.

I'm basing my posts on other posts I've seen here and on other sites about sync issues going thru HDMI while needing to maintaing sync with your system audio and editing app (FCP or Avid).

Thanks...
Looking forward to your feedback.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not take an analogue out from the MXO2 box? You'd still have perfect synch with the video without having to mess around with HDMI audio.

Andrew
Steve
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Thanks - just a newbie with MXO2 Reply with quote

Thanks, I will give it a shot. I ignored people that have posted on the web about sync issues and I'm picking up MXO2 Mini Max today. I opted to go that route for portability sake - can always change over to internal or upgraded opts later. How is the calibration with an LCD HDMI Monitor?
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The calibration is somewhat problematic, though not for lack of effort from Matrox to solve the issue. The greater problem is that manufacturers will understandably pull all sorts of internal monitor processing tricks to get their product to market as quickly as possible.

I'm still having issues with my ASUS monitor, but to be fair it was very very cheap at $100ish.

There is a HP (or Dell?) monitor that has been mentioned in the forums with people having a lot of success calibrating it with the MXO2. (Even at $400+ it's still cheaper than a dedicated broadcast monitor.) Sorry I don't have the details for that monitor model at the moment. As always, you tend to get what you pay for.

Andrew
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: "as quickly as possible" should be "as cheaply as possible"

Andrew
Steve
(MXO)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks Andrew Reply with quote

I just set up the mini. Hmm. Well, I'm getting the sync issues in FCP as others stated (going video out of Matrox but wanting to keep the system audio for my speaker setup). I guess I'll have to go through matrox box for all audio now rather than any system (i.e., if i want to listen to tunes at some point in the day on break, I'll have to have system audio set to matrox). I'll investigate it further later.

I went for a Samsung P2770HD. It looks terrible with Color Calibration but looks great without it. LOL. So, I'm going to have to dig deeper figuring that out. We wanted a good way to do color in-house for our web stuff and do any broadcast stuff in at a post house. Thought this would be fine but it's hard to say if what we are getting from FCP, AVID and the external are all different. Good times. The calibrated external has to be our reference. I'll work on it. Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I have an Apple Cinema Display (old 30 inch) but don't want to trust it for color. It jus happens to look the best.

My brian hurts. Lol. Time to hire someone for color calibration.

I was hoping the audio could just say on system but it makes sense that you can't.
Andrew Smith
(MXO2 with MAX)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With audio, I'm going to be purchasing a mixer to go between the computer and the Event 2020BAS speakers. The mixer will have both XLR and unbalanced RCI inputs so that both computer and MXO2 audio is played out. Just one of those things about getting serious with video (and audio).

That HP monitor I was talking about is: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/ZR2440w_datasheet.pdf If you do a forum search on that model number you might find the related posts from other users.

For the moment I am using S-VIDEO out to my Sony SD CRT professional video monitor for gauging the true colour. It does the job in that respect. If you have a similar monitor around then you might as well hook it up.

Andrew
steve
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I just may do that with the CRT. I may have access to one.
Going to order blue glasses though, to deal with my plasma later on.

I trust the Matrox software for cali but I may invest in the i1Display Pro for extra precision and "safety". I just don't want to take any chances. Once we get more cash in-house I'll go all the way for a full pro monitor and have our post house come in and do cali.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Was very helpful. Stay in touch...

Steve
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve and thank you for your interest in Matrox products. Thank you as always Andrew for your help in our forum posts. I hope all is well down under.

regards,

JD
Customer Care
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox Mojito MAX All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam