Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble installing new Matrtox MXO2 Mini in Avid MC5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Windows)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:12 am    Post subject: Trouble installing new Matrtox MXO2 Mini in Avid MC5 Reply with quote

My first Matrox unit is installed, and I see the MXO2 icon in my MC5 timeline where "1394" would otherwise be (DNA Mojo is disconnected), but in my capture tool, it says "no inputs available" when Matrox is used. I can click it back to 1394 and 1394 correctly pops up as video input too. I have checked various options in MC5 settings, but am wondering if I am missing something, or need to reload the drivers, etc. I did not see this issue in other posts. Thanks for any suggestions.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you confirm what exact MXO2 Mini driver version and Media Composer 5 update you are running?

Please note the MXO2 Mini does not support direct capturing in Avid Media Composer. See this Knowledge Base post for more information: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=366347&Hilite=matrox#a9

Please also be aware that Avid does not recommend you connect the Matrox MX02 Mini device and an Avid supported hardware device: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=366347&Hilite=matrox#a11
Remove the Mojo from the Avid system when working with MXO2 Mini.

Hope this information helps.
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Still having problems installing Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on using the Matrox utilities for capture instead of direct into Avid. On the Mojo issue, as I mentioned in my first note, I had read that the Mojo must not be connected to the computer when using Matrox and so it has never been connected to the computer either while trying to install Matrox or when attempting to use it. After removing and re-installing the Matrox software, I still get an error that there was trouble installing the software and my device may not work properly. Then windows go through a series of individual "found new device" steps for each audio and video element of the Mojo...asking me to find and install software again for the Matrox devices. I am using the current Matrox driver listed for MC5 and latest MC5. I saw a reference to during uninstall another user had also removed Matrox files from the registry...but I don't know how to do that or make sure all Matrox data is off the computer before I attempt the re-install. Also, is it best to have the unit attached and poowered up or not attached during install of software? Thanks, Bob
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: oops mistake in last post... Reply with quote

i meant to say each audio/video element of Matrox...not Mojo
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Are you running an MXO2 Mini or MXO2 unit with AVID MC5?
Please note only the MXO2 Mini is supported when using Avid MC5.
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=366347&Hilite=matrox#a2
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=366347&Hilite=matrox#g2
Also, are you running an laptop or desktop?
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Partially working now Reply with quote

Yes...I have the correct Matrox for MC5 on my Dell Precision 490 Desktop. I did finally remove all software including Avid and Matrox and reinstalled both cuurrent versions and manually reloaded each Matrox driver and the unit is now providing a monitor for MC5 properly. One of the Matrox components displayed as "unknown" in the windows installer...but when I directed it to get a driver from Matrox Utilities driver folder, it grabbed one. Unknown what this component was.
However, each time I shut down the computer I still get the Matrox blue screen of death again "Your hardware has malfunctioned, contact vendor". I have to do a hard power off crash shut down at that point with the main power button of the Dell...every time.
Thanks for any suggestions,

Bob

MC5.03
Dell Precision PWS490
Intel Xeon(R)CPU
5150 @2.66GHz
2GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Which Matrox Mini have you installed?
When installing the Mtx.utils software and you get a hardware dialog pop up, please click Cancel.
This is mentioned in our User Guide on page 9 under Hardware Detection:
Quote:
When you turn on your computer for the first time after connecting and powering your MXO2 hardware, Windows will detect your new hardware and the "Found New Hardware Wizard" may appear.
- If you haven't yet installed Matrox Mtx.utils, close the ?Found New
Hardware Wizard? by pressing ESC or clicking Cancel. The drivers for your MXO2 hardware will automatically be installed when you install Mtx.utils.
- If Mtx.utils is already installed on your computer, Windows will either
automatically locate and install your MXO2 drivers, or prompt you to
indicate how you want to search for the drivers. When prompted, choose to browse for the driver software on your computer. Your MXO2 drivers are located in the \system\drivers folder where you installed Matrox Mtx.utils(for example, at C:\Program Files\Matrox Mtx.utils\system\drivers).

Also take note of this Known Issue in our Release Notes:
Quote:
If you installed Matrox Mtx.utils without your Matrox MXO2 hardware
connected to your computer, you may experience problems trying to use
your MXO2 system when you connect your MXO2 hardware for the first
time. If this happens, restart your system. (Ref# 51673)

When installing Matrox Mtx.utils, you may receive a message that some
device drivers have not been installed successfully. You can ignore this
message, as the device drivers will be successfully installed once the
Mtx.utils installation is complete. (Ref# 52208)

Can you try uninstalling Matrox drivers, connect your Matrox hardware, reboot the system, install the Matrox Mtx.utils software but click Cancel to any Found Hardware messages, after install is complete, reboot or shutdown the system.

Once you have performed these installation steps, please check the Device Manager for any unknown devices listed.
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Removed-Reinstalled Reply with quote

Thanks Sam...
When I first tried loading this a few weeks ago, I did actually follow the manual instruction of "canceling" all "windows found hardware" wizards and using only Matrox utilities that's the first time I got the first "unknown device" and ultimately blue screen at computer shutdown.
I took your latest suggestion and removed all Matrox software again...and again re-installed it with the device attached.
I again cancelled all windows found hardware popups and the software install went fine until it reached "preparing devices" and then a few seconds into that...blue screen popped up "Hardware malfunction...contact vendor for support...system has halted".
Hard shutdown with power button.
Upon powerup i restarted Mtx.utils and they sensed that an install had been done and asked for repair? I said yes. It started process again only this time it cancelled each windows found hardware wizard itself except one...which I cancelled.
There are no unknown devices in the computer device manager and matrox audio video devices are all listed in their own area.
However in the device manager "sound, video, game controllers area...it lists an additional "Matrox WDM audio device" and "for video "legacy video capture devices".
The Matrox AV software appears to funtion normally...avid again recognizes and uses the Matrox monitor.
But each time I shut down...I still get blue screen after the completion of all windows shutdown preps and the screens begin to go black...up pops..."Hardware malfunction...contact vendor for support...the system has halted."
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
Has your system updates been performed? Windows, motherboard BIOS, chipset, audio and graphic card drivers. You should be running the latest updates for all system components.

If possible, do you have another system to test the MXO2 Mini unit?
Have you tried contacting your local dealer or reseller?
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: No local reseller Reply with quote

Thanks again Sam...
As the days and days now of trying to make this work stretch on...it is difficult to keep going. I will again go through and make sure all updates have been made to computer components. All other software from Avid MC5.03 to Photoshop function perfectly. I get regular Dell and Microsoft Windows updates and all are current. It is only when your device is attached that the system crashes. I have no local reseller...bought this bundle online and will contact them to see if they have any suggestions. Is it possible there really is an actual hardware failure and all of these days of work on the software will not solve it?
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your feedback and help on troubleshooting the issue.
We have not had reports of blue screens occurring with our hardware installed.
There may be other factors present with the system. Before concluding the Matrox hardware is faulty, we want to confirm if the issue happens possibly on other system. If you contact your reseller, they may have a system to test the MXO2 Mini.
If an RMA is needed, we would be able to process it.
bobdul13
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Progress on MC 5.03 - NVIDIA driver Reply with quote

Thanks Sam...
Appreciate the earlier suggestion on drivers. I was able to find an outdated driver on my NVIDIA and updated that. I have powered up and down several times with no Matrox failure. However, when I opened the A/V tool while my Avid MC 5.03 was open...I suddenly got a windows blue screen..."protecting the computer from a fault, etc". The subsequent error report stated there was a conflict with a driver. I re-checked my Matrox manuals and release notes and did not observe cautions against having both the Matrox AV tools and Avid open at the same time...did I miss that and are there any issues with that? I also screened all system devices and software with Driver Detective to insure all drivers are indeed current. Per your suggestion on testing with 2nd system, I have a 2nd AVID 5.03 Dell PC system at another office and will try the Matrox unit system when I get there there in a week or so. Thanks again for your assistance.
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your issue is somewhat partly resolved. We have tried your other issue regarding opening Avid and AVTools simultaneously. We did not get a blue screen. Is there any specific steps you performed prior to the blue screen?

Please also let us know how you tests go with your other system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> MXO2 Family and Mojito MAX with Avid Media Composer Family (Windows) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: