Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

50hz option for PAL monitoring on DVI monitor.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fxn,

Does your DVI monitor support a vertical refresh rate of 50Hz? Please confirm your monitor specs.

Regards,
Sam
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: a couple of Questions Reply with quote

no my monitor doesn't vertically refresh @ 50Hz. As I wrote, it's an Apple Cinema Display and therefore... it flickers when receiving Pal through Mxo

but I know that . this not the point and this is not an issue for me. I am not looking for help here. I know exactly was is going on.

the point is : would it be all right if I had an 50Hz monitor ?

Lots of confusion here ... it seems that even inside the Matrox team opinions differ.

Question 1 : would the Mxo 1 accept a 25/50i signal and restitute it correctly to a 50Hz range monitor ?

Question 2 : If not, would a firmware/driver possibly solve this ? In that case... wouldn't it be the time to... finish that gear.

thank you for your time Sam.

------------------------
did you edit your post ?
I read something that seemed more assertive this afternoon on my iPhone, but I as getting a hair cut so I couldn't response on the spot. Smile

I am leaving for IBC tomorrow, I will definitely pay a visit to the Matrox booth
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

To answer your questions, I'm not sure if there could possibly be a firmware/driver fix, but since the DVI always outputs at 60Hz, your monitor has to at least support 60Hz.

All frame rates chosen will output through the MXO DVI @ 60Hz. No matter what monitor you choose, the DVI out (and only the DVI out) of the MXO will drive out at 60Hz. All other MXO output sources, such as SDI, Component, will output at their respective frame rates.
Example: PAL will output SDI at a 50 signal.
The flickering only affects the DVI monitor output preview and does not have any effect on your project (FCP canvas window) or any of the other outputs in your project timeline.

Does this affect your editing workflow besides the DVI output flicker? Are you using the DVI as an output for preview only?

Hope this information is clear.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited by Matrox_Support_Sam on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Fxn
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: This is the correct information Reply with quote

This is the correct information

50 Hz was definitely implemented in original Mxo drivers.

A 50Hz range monitor like some Eizo or HP was necessary to take avantage of it.

Problem : it was working with the Eizo but not with the others... so Matrox Dev. team took the 50Hz ability out to avoid confusion.

Many people have asked since ... put it back !!!!

I hope 50 Hz will be back soon with Snow Leopard drivers.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Francois

As you know, the Matrox team have already committed to putting the 50Hz option back in the next release ... lets hope we do not have to wait too much longer.

Best
Andy
Matrox_Support_Sam
(Moderator)

Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I will move this post to our Product Feature and Enhancement section.
Please stay posted for any further updates we may have.

Regards,
Sam
marc.colemont
(MXO2)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matrox_Support_Niven wrote:
Hi Nicov,

Quote:
Wayne said it was a choice made because most LCD's only support 59.9hz or 60hz at 1920x1200 but that a 50hz option might come in an update for those who work in PAL and have an LCD that support 50hz.

At the time there weren't many cost effective 50hz LCD monitors, although that is changing now, models that I know of is your monitor and the Benq FP241W Z.

Regarding the matter of this post I'll be moving it to the Product Feature Enhancement section of the forum.

Regards,
Niven

I understand this answer from years ago, but as we are now on 2010.
A lot more monitors do display 50Hz, and I need a proper 50Hz output from MAC to HD-SDI to go into my production switcher.
Currently the firmware loaded only allows 50Hz output while the Mac setting keeps at 60Hz. Causing vertical sync artifacts, which are unacceptable in my broadcast environment.
Please update and enable the 50Hz settings.
I'm willing to help beta-testing if it speeds up the process.
We have 6 MXO's sitting here virtually unusable.

Regards,
Marc Colemont
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: