Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using MXO2 Max on Mac with CS5 on Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cassb001
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Using MXO2 Max on Mac with CS5 on Windows Reply with quote

I currently have an HP 9400 quad core workstation with an Axio LE card. I am still using CS3 and I shoot with on a Sony EX3 hence I edit entirely XDCAM EX files. My output is always on Blu-Ray discs. I find this system quite suitable especially since encoding to mpeg2HD is about 1:1.5 in terms of speed and hence production of Blu-Ray is very fast.

I am however thinking of switching to the following system:

A Mac Pro 8-core with CS5 and a MXO2 Max. The CS5 will be used on Windows on the Mac. My questions are these:

1)Will I still have the real time effects that I presently enjoy with my current system such as real time colour correction, real time slow motion?

2)Will I be able to encode in H264 Blu Ray at real time or faster, which will mean that it will be better than my present workflow?

3) Is it advisable at all to make this jump or shall I stay with my current set up - which I'm afraid will soon age and will need to be replaced?

BTW I decided to use CS5 on Windows since I believe that CS5 on OSx does not benefit from the MXO2 properties. I wish to jump to a Mac Pro because I'm fed up with the way pc's work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Matrox_Presales
(Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your continued support and interest in Matrox products. Unfortunately running a Windows OS on a MAC is not a tested or validated configuration for the Matrox MXO2 product line; we cannot comment on its compatibility. Support for Adobe CS5 on the Mac OS is not available in the current Matrox driver release for the Mac OS. We are working on support for this functionality in an upcoming Matrox driver release scheduled for later this year (Fall of 2010).

Quote:
1)Will I still have the real time effects that I presently enjoy with my current system such as real time colour correction, real time slow motion?

The Matrox driver release that will support Adobe CS5 for Mac OS will not include any real-time CPU effects or Real-time speed change.

Quote:
2)Will I be able to encode in H264 Blu Ray at real time or faster, which will mean that it will be better than my present workflow?

If you opt to purchase the MXO2 with the MAX encoding engine, then you will defiantly benefit from its' accelerated capabilities. Please check this page for the key features of Matrox MAX Technology for the Mac.

Quote:
3) Is it advisable at all to make this jump or shall I stay with my current set up - which I'm afraid will soon age and will need to be replaced?

Since the CS5 support for the MXO2 devices (for Mac) is not released, you cannot switch platforms just yet. Some of the benefits of moving to the MXO2 with MAX option include the support for 10-bit HDMI input/output, faster than real-time H.264 encoding with the Matrox MAX technology, 10-bit realtime hardware up/down/cross conversion on capture and output and a new calibration utility that allows you to calibrate a standard LCD monitor to a broadcast grade video monitor.

Hope this helps and please let us know if you have any other questions...

Best regards,
B.C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Pre-Purchase for Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE and MXO2 Rack All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This board is protected by Phpbbantispam