Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch         RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to Capture PS3 Output in Final Cut Pro 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wongjp
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Unable to Capture PS3 Output in Final Cut Pro 7 Reply with quote

Hi all, pulling my hair out here. I checked the HDMI cables and the connections seem proper, but my PS3 just isn't showing up in the Log and Capture Window

My system configuration:

Mac OS X 10.5.8
MXO2 Mini (running 1.8.1)
Final Cut Pro 7.0.1

PS3 HDMI to MXO2 Mini "HDMI In"
MXO2 Mini "HDMI Out" to my external LCD Monitor

My MXO2 System Preferences are here:
http://www.jameswong.com/images/mxo2_20091208.jpg

When I try to 'Log & Capture' i see a black screen. I want to capture using ProRes at 720p instead of 1080i so I have my Sequence and Capture settings set to Apple ProRes 422 720p 59.94. I'd like to capture at this framerate for high-framerate games such as WipeOut HD (which features 60fps racing).

Even on booting the PS3, just a black screen in the log and capture window (as well as the preview output from the HDMI Out of the MXO2 Mini to my monitor).

Please help Sad
wongjp
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I tried using the advised settings from this user:
http://forum.matrox.com/mxo/viewtopic.php?t=2240&highlight=ps3

Unfortunately, no good results. I get a capture image like this even if I try varous Presets (DVCPRO 720p 29.97, Apple Prores 422 720p, etc):
wongjp
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried rolling back to 1.6 drivers and firmware. Same results. I get purple with green "glitches" on the capture window.
wongjp
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: PS3 HDMI with HDCP active? Reply with quote

Hello all.

I managed to have a friend bring over an Xbox360 and I captured from it (via HDMI also) without any issues. I have yet to try the component video input and output on the MXO2 Mini but if tonight's tests were any indication, I think the PS3 is at fault here when connected via HDMI.

Has anyone else with a PS3 and HDMI had issues like myself? Perhaps PS3 HDMI just runs HDCP / copy protection without question (and may component video works fine, I will need to find a cable to test this).

In any case, just wanted to update for anyone planning to do the same thing.

Best,
James
wongjp
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Matrox Engineers: I read a little more online and the MXO2 Mini may not be considered "HDCP compliant" by the PS3? Would be happy to help you guys with more testing on this end, just ask Smile
XShava
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I capture video in PS3.

I have component (Red & White + Red, Green and Blue) between PS3 and Matrox Mini, because HDMI not work. And HDMI between Matrox Mini and TV.

First i have to connect PS3 to TV whit compenent. But settings right and then change component to Matrox.
XShava
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Videos captured whit Matrox. PS3 and X360.

http://www.konsolifin.net/media/c/18/KonsoliFIN_TV/
markoftheweb
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am trying to get ps3 hdmi capture going. I have tried various other hdmi sources and component source but yet to try component-ps3. The only capture i have gotten successful is with Nikon D-90 mini hdmi out.

Good luck, i hope to check back or update post with/for answer.
markoftheweb
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking that the component in is the way to go .. all the success stories here mention not the hdmi.
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys
The MXO2 Mini absolutely does not work with HDCP encrypted signals over HDMI. This content protection system is designed specifically to stop folks from ripping copyrighted content and as such Matrox would have no reason whatsoever to implement means to circumvent such digital copy protection. If component capture works for you then you might just want to use that and keep quiet about it Wink
Best
Andy
markoftheweb
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Mees wrote:
Guys
The MXO2 Mini absolutely does not work with HDCP encrypted signals over HDMI. This content protection system is designed specifically to stop folks from ripping copyrighted content and as such Matrox would have no reason whatsoever to implement means to circumvent such digital copy protection. If component capture works for you then you might just want to use that and keep quiet about it Wink
Best
Andy

Does any Matrox Product support HDMI capture as the marketing verbage alludes to or is it simply the mini. Capturing game play is the goal, not ripping blue rays. 500 on Matrox and then a 1,000 on FCP to own a brick is nothing to be quiet about.

Is there a Matrox product that will do what gamers are trying to do and we pick the wrong product ?
Andy Mees
(MXO)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark

>Does any Matrox Product support HDMI capture as the marketing verbage alludes to or is it simply the mini.

Yes, all of the Matrox MXO2 support HDMI capture, not just the Mini. But as noted above (and as specifically stated in all the marketing verbiage) you can't capture HDCP protected content via HDMI as that would defeat the purpose of HDCP.

>Capturing game play is the goal, not ripping blue rays. 500 on Matrox and then a 1,000 on FCP to own a brick is nothing to be quiet about.

This is a PS3 thing. If they are 'protecting' your game play signal then theres nothing Matrox can (or should) do about it. The "quiet" comment was only meant jokingly (hence the smiley) in that you are trying to circumvent copy protection regardless of whether thats a Bluray title or gameplay, and that you have found a viable means to do it may be something you'd want to keep away from the ears of those trying to stop you (Sony).

>Is there a Matrox product that will do what gamers are trying to do and we pick the wrong product ?

Well yes, absolutely. Unless I missed the point completely, any MXO2 regardless of model seems to be able to do what you're after ... just use Component.

Best
Andy
markoftheweb
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I apologize for my tense post reply, to many late nights trying to figure it out. With the component strategy in place and now able to capture. I have to say it works great and it is nice piece of hardware. Look forward to using it more.
mhoung
(MXO2 Mini with MAX)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: No HDMI capture for PS3 Reply with quote

I work as a pro in that video game field. Except the PS3 debugs, there's no way you can capture retail PS3s with HDMI output because of the HDCP.
It is a bummer but Sony had limited this because of the Blu-Ray.
On the Xbox 360, Microsoft haven't limited that so you can capture Xbox 360 with HDMI output.

For your information, just be careful to get a good quality component cable because the image quality you get from the PS3 may vary a lot.
wongjp
(MXO2 Mini)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, am in the video game industry Wink Nice to see that people finally followed up though, thank you for that!

I'm still running into a component issue where the video is being captured now, but the signal is artifacted. Hopefully I can fix this soon, this is getting to be very frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Matrox MXO User Forum Forum Index -> Product Feature Enhancements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: